Let’s talk about mental health
In Australia, one in six young people aged 16 to 24 years currently experiences anxiety and one in 16 young Australians currently experiences depression1.
The University of Melbourne, with funding from BeyondBlue, has developed guidelines to help parents reduce the risk of depression and anxiety in their children.
Some of the key things parents can do are:
- Establish and maintain a good relationship with your child
- Establish family rules and consequences
- Encourage good health habits: diet, exercise, appropriate screen time and sleep
- Minimise conflict in the home
- Help your child to manage emotions
- Help them to set goals and solve problems
- Provide support when something is bothering them
- Encourage professional help when needed