Social networking is a great way to keep in touch with friends and family as well as meeting new people with similar interests and hobbies.
Here are some tips to follow when you feel you are ready to begin using social networking sites like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter:.
- Make sure you are old enough to use the site. Sites like Facebook and Instagram require users to be 13 years or older.
- Keep your passwords a secret otherwise other people may log on and pretend to be you. If you want to give someone your password think about choosing a parent or older sibling so they can support along the way if you need it.
- Set your account to private so that you will only interact with people you know in real life and aren’t approached by strangers.
- We encourage you to think carefully before you post any information online. Things you post on social networking can have an impact on you even after you delete it and long into the future.
- Set up your location services on your device so that you aren’t broadcasting your location to strangers.
- Remember to be careful when making new friends online as some people may not be who they say they are and never arrange to meet an online friend unless accompanied by a trusted adult.
- Make sure you know how to report inappropriate content on social networking sites and show your parents so you know what to do if you come across anything inappropriate.
- More information for parents is available at www.cybersmart.gov.au/parents.aspx
Links & References:
Esafety - https://esafety.gov.au/