COVID 19 UPDATE
Following a series of meetings over the last couple of days involving the AFL and all State and Territory CEOs, THE FOLLOWING recommendations have been made in relation to Community football that there will be no change to the May 31st 2020 season postponement date. This means that ALL club training, events, ground, and light usage remains suspended until further notice.
You can read the full statement from the EFNL for further information below.
The Metropolitan Leagues will continue to work with the AFL and await the outcome of Government’s decision on the 11th May, as to whether restrictions will be maintained, reduced, or lifted and/or whether any exemptions would be made for community sport.
The EFNL recently sent Covid-19 survey to all Eastern Football Netball League clubs to help gauge their views on the current situation. The EFNL received 62 responses which provided the following key findings.
- 50% of Clubs answered YES to cancelling the season
- 87% of Junior Clubs answered YES to participating in Lightning Premiership or POOL type round robin competitions
- 44% of Clubs answered YES to cancelling the season
- 44% of clubs do not believe they will be financially capable of paying a tiered salary cap starting with a $50,000 being the maximum given the impact of COVID 19.
- 84% of clubs are supportive of lower player payment caps for season 2020, 2021 and 2022
A further update on season 2020 will be provided following the Metropolitan League CEO’s and AFL meeting on Tuesday 12th May 2020, which coincides with the decision on Victoria’s State of Emergency Stage 3 restrictions which as previously mentioned, is currently set to end at midnight on Monday the 11th May 2020.