Update from the Dodgers - Winter 2020 registrations...and more!
Hello to all Dodgers players and families!
First of all, thank you to all of you for your patience as we continue to navigate the current COVID-19 emergency, and what it means for basketball in the ACT going forward.
As the Dodgers is a fully volunteer-run club, we appreciate your understanding at this very trying time.
We just wanted to provide you with an update on registrations for the Winter 2020 season, as we are mindful that our original registration deadline for Winter is tomorrow.
But please don't panic...and read below for an update!
Basketball ACT's current advice (here) is that the Winter season will still continue, but will have a delayed start (2 May for the junior competition).
Depending on how the COVID-19 situation plays out, this may change again (or may not!) - but that is the advice from BACT at present.
BACT is still asking clubs to put forward anticipated teams for the Winter season by 14 April so it can be organised and ready to roll once the Season does commence.
To this end, we can advise the following:
* While our original registrations deadline of tomorrow (Sunday 29 March) no longer applies, we will be seeking expressions of interest for the Winter season over the coming week (see our dot points below)
* For those who have registered and paid - our intention is to hold off any refunds until we have clarity around the Season start date, and what adjustments may then need to be made to registration fees. We are also exploring with BACT the mechanisms for refunds on Winter registrations that have already been paid, in the event that the Winter season does not proceed at all - we will aim to provide advice on this over the coming one to two weeks, pending advice from BACT. But like everyone, we are fervently hopeful that the Winter season will proceed in some shape or form!
* For those who have not yet registered, we are working with BACT to develop a new online form that will enable you to express interest for your junior in playing with the Dodgers for Winter, but not requiring you to pay a rego fee at the moment - it will just give us and BACT a good idea of the number of teams we will be putting up for the Winter competition.
* Once the season is confirmed, you will then need to formally register your player and pay the registration fee should you wish to proceed (noting that this fee may be adjusted by BACT depending on how delayed the Winter season is).
* A firm deadline for your completion of the expression of interest form will be provided once we send out the link, but please expect this to be required over the coming week or so (it will need to be a short turnaround time by necessity - our apologies for this). This will enable us to assemble expected teams and provide that to BACT by their 14 April deadline.
* Once the form is ready to go, we will email it out to you and we will also post it on our Facebook page and website.
We hope that provides some clarity for you going forward, in what are very unclear times!
Some good news!
Congratulations to our Dodgers teams that were successful in either being Champions or Runners-up in their Division comps during the ACT Summer season. Our huge congratulations to the following teams and their coaches:
U14 Girls Div 1
U16 Boys Div 5 Pool B
U16 Boys Div 6
U19 Girls Div 3
U14 Girls Div 4 Pool B
U19 Boys Div 5 Pool A
Please click here to read the full list of Champions and Runners Up teams across the whole junior competition for the season. BACT will be in touch with these teams with regard to getting them their medals.
Still seeking volunteers...
We are still seeking volunteers to fill the roles of Treasurer and age group co-ordinator/s for our U14, U16 and U19 Girls teams. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you can assist or are interested in finding out more.
Reminder - all training on hold
Just a reminder that, in line with ongoing advice from Basketball Australia, all Dodgers team training - including our Saturday morning high performance sessions - unfortunately continue to be suspended indefinitely until further notice. The health and safety of our players and families is paramount.
Find Basketball Australia's advice here.
We send our hopes and wishes to all those directly impacted by the COVID-19 crisis, both here and overseas.
While we can't offer training, we can offer this...
Try these online resources for some great home-based training activities. Be ready to start playing again once the season ramps up!
From all of us at the Dodgers, keep safe, keep well, and happy (at home) ballin'!