Centrals Junior Football Club
1938 to 2021 & onwards!
80 plus years - A Proud History
* 83 years since formation of Wangaratta Junior League in 1938
* Original WJFL teams – Section 1, 2, 3 & 4 (Wang divided into 4 sections by address) subsequently teams became: Ovens Rovers, Centrals, Imperials, South Wanderers
* Centrals team colours - original team jumper: red / black, subsequently changed to hawks colours in 1950’s (year?)
* Centrals first premiership in 1947 (U19) coached by "Doc" Findlay, a few players still around.
* Centrals premierships –
- 1947 - (U/19) coached by "Doc" Findlay
- 1975 - (U/18), ’76 (U/17) both coached by Ab Comensoli.
- 1977, ’78, ’79 - (U/17) coached by Dean Saunders.
- 1988 - (U/17) coached by Peter Grunow.
- 1996 - (U/16) coached by Mark (Jock) Lowry.
- 1998, ’99 - (U/13) coached by Tony Holden.
- 2010 - (U/14), 2012 (U/16) both coached by Laurie Burt.
- 2013 - (U/14) coached by James Levesque.
- 2015 - (U/16) coached by Joe Bendendo.
* Only WDJFL club to win 5 consecutive premierships in same division 1975 – ’79 (Div-1 U18/U17)
* 11 x players that have won 3 or more premierships –
- ‘75-78 Shane Doolan, (x 4)
- ’75-77 Wayne Doig, John Doig, Rodney Holloway, (x 3)
- ’76-78 Doug Prosser, Wayne Scobie, Brian Challman, Mark Pratt, (x 3)
- ’77-79 Grant Wilson, Murray Prosser, Steve Collihole, (x 3)
* Father / son premiership wins:
- Lou Cesa ’47 (U19) / Ian & Colin Cesa ’75 (U18)
- Geoff Gourley ’75 (U18) / James Gourley 2013 (U14) & 2015 (U/16)
* Father / son B&F wins:
- Carmen Pane - 1973 & Calvin Pane - 1999
* WDJFL most games played: Daniel Salmon ?? games - Centrals JFC (3x divisions: U13 – U17) regularly played 2 divisions on same day.
* Known Life Members of Centrals JFC recognizing significant service (10 years) to the club include -
- Bernie Fogarty (dec)
- John Nugent,
- Ab Comensoli,
- Bob & Leonie Bowie,
- Barrie Cook
* Significant family involvements (3+players + club official / office bearer) include:
- Brown family (Les, Jean, Stephen, Peter, Mark, Tom, Roberta (Bobby))
- Hocking Family (Jim, Joan + 3 boys),
- Cook Family (Barry, Marj, Greg, Martin, Darren)
- Solimo family (Mario, Scott, Justin, Matt)
- McQuade family (Rob, Kristen, Colby, Jace & Kyle)
* Players who have gone on to play VFL / AFL include -
* Club home ground at several locations including -
- Wang Tech School,
- Avian Park (Trotting Track),
- Wareena Park,
- Wang High School,
- WJ Findlay Oval (Rovers ground),
- Barr Reserve (old, temporary & new buildings),
Currently home ground at Barr Reserve (Bill O'Callaghan Oval), however no permanent club room.
We are currently trying to update the following records of -
- club office bearers,
- best & fairest winners & runners up.
- significant player achievements,
- life members &
- we are also seeking help to locate ’the 1975 to 1979 (x5) and 1947 premiership flags.
We would certainly welcome contact from anyone associated with Centrals Junior Football Club in past years, particularly those with information, photos or memorabilia.
You can contact current club Secretary, Lori Curr at - firstname.lastname@example.org
or phone - 0419 439 967 - mobile.
A big THANK YOU to former club secretary, Geoff Gourley for compiling much of this club history.