Our Basketball Club is proudly
supported by The Vikings Group
Coaches Code of Conduct & Ethics
Tuggeranong Vikings Amateur Basketball ClubCoaches Code of Conduct and Ethics
As a coach appointed by Tuggeranong Vikings Amateur BasketballClub, you must meet the following requirements in regard to your conduct during any activity held by or under the auspices of Tuggeranong Vikings Amateur BasketballClub and in any role you hold within Tuggeranong Vikings Amateur BasketballClub:
1. Respect the rights, dignity and worth of every human being
Within the context of the activity, treat everyone equally regardless of sex, ethnic origin or religion.
2. Ensure the athlete’s time spent with you is a positive experience
All athletes are deserving of equal attention and opportunities.
3. Treat each athlete as an individual
Respect the talent, developmental stage and goals of each individual athlete.
Help each athlete reach their full potential.
4. Be fair, considerate and honest with athletes
5. Be professional in and accept punctuality, responsibility for your actions
Language, manner, preparation and presentation should display high standards.
Display control, respect, dignity and professionalism to all involved with the sport – this includes opponents, coaches, officials, administrators, the media, parents and spectators.
Encourage your athletes to demonstrate the same qualities.
6. Make a commitment to providing a quality service to your athletes
Maintain or improve your current coaching accreditation.
Seek continual improvement through performance appraisal and ongoing coach education.
Provide a training program which is planned and sequential.
Maintain appropriate records.
7. Operate within the rules and spirit of your sport
The guidelines of international bodies governing your sport should be followed.
The Australian Sports Drug Agency provides By-Laws to operate within.
8. Any physical contact with athletes should be:
Appropriate to the situation.
Necessary for the athlete’s skill development.
9. Refrain from any intimate relationship or affair with your athletes
Even if the relationship is with the consent of the athlete you should avoid them.
10. Avoid unaccompanied and unobserved activities with persons under 18 years of age, wherever possible
11. Refrain from any form of personal abuse verbal, physical towards your athletes
This includes verbal, physical and emotional abuse.
Be alert to any forms of abuse directed towards your athletes from other sources whilst they are in your care.
12. Refrain from any form of sexual harassment towards your athletes
13. Provide a safe environment for training and facilities and competition
Ensure equipment and facilities meet safety standards.
Equipment, rules and the environment need to be appropriate for the age and ability of the athletes.
14. Show concern and caution towards sick and injured athletes
Provide a modified training program where appropriate.
Allow further participation in training and competition only when appropriate.
Seek medical advice when required.
Maintain the same interest and support towards sick and injured athletes.
15. Be a positive role model for basketball and athletes