DCSI Screening Information
Below is some information received from Sport SA in regards to the new screening laws.
Some important information to note for now:
- New screening laws will come into effect from 1 July (assuming smooth transition through the Parliamentary process)
- There will be a twelve month transition period for organisations to undertake the new checks i.e. by 1 July 2020
- Checks will now be valid for five years, with continuous monitoring
- Organisations will be obliged to advise the screening unit of any concerns during this period (in addition to your mandatory notification obligations) Reporting mechanisms for this are yet to be confirmed
- Screening requirements for those working with children will now be from 14 years of age (previously 18)
- Some criteria for sporting events e.g. number of days working with children, interstate visitor requirements have changed
We will keep you informed of dates for information sessions and encourage you to develop a list of questions prior to these sessions as we intend them to be Q&A style forums.
For those who are interested, here is the media release direct from the office of Hon Michelle Lensink MLC https://premier.sa.gov.au/news/better-protection-for-children-through-new-screening-laws-to-come-into-effect-from-july-1