NOW IS THE TIME TO SUBMIT ON THE NEW PLYMOUTH DISTRICT COUNCIL LONG TERM PLAN
We wanted to check in with you now as a project group as this is a pivotal time for the New Plymouth Multi-Sport hub project and we need your help to ensure all supporters of the hub get their submissions in on the New Plymouth District Council Long Term Plan.
This plan is the key budget and planning document covering the next 10 years so in addition to the hub, this is an important opportunity for you to provide direct feedback on a range of important topics that help make our district a great place to live, including water infrastructure, tracks and trails, dealing with rubbish and protecting our environment.
WANT THE MULTI-SPORT HUB BUILT? THEN EVERYONE NEEDS TO MAKE INDIVIDUAL SUBMISSIONS
While the hub is currently included in the Long Term Plan – it needs a strong show of public support to remain there and with enough supportive submissions construction of the much-needed hub building could start as soon as 2024, rather than 2026 as Council are currently proposing.
Starting building work faster will still give plenty of time for quality planning and construction with "no real cost difference" according to the Council's consultation document.
This is a numbers game, so each individual submission is vital. There is no age limit for submissions.
WHAT TO SUBMIT
There are three options to choose from for the New Plymouth Multi-Sport Hub.
Sport Taranaki supports option 3 and we would encourage all supporters of the Hub to do so as well.
This option builds the indoor hub as quickly as practical (construction starts in 2024) while allowing plenty of time for further external fundraising and planning. NPDC says “there is no real cost difference” between this option and one which would delay construction of the hub until 2026. Option 3 is supported by sporting and community groups involved in the hub planning process who have been struggling with facilities that are too small or sub-standard for years already.
Consider making a brief comment
There is space for you to comment on the need and urgency for the multi-sport hub here too. A short, relevant comment will add more weight to your submission so please do this. A sentence or two which spells out your current issues with lack of facilities and pointing to the community benefits of the hub in your own words will be useful.
HOW TO SUBMIT?
Here is the link to the New Plymouth District Council Your Home Your Say Page where you can complete your submission CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE A SUBMISSION
- Scroll down to the Paying it Forward section on the page and click the button to submit. (Screenshot below)
- If you haven’t made a submission before, just think of it like an online survey.
- Once you have entered your name and details you can either skip through the other topics to reach the multi-sport section or comment on the topics as you progress through.
Through the submission period (3 March – 6 April) we will be promoting the need for our community to submit:
- Social media campaign (organic posts with some paid promotions as well)
- Posters with QR codes linking direct to the submission process being distributed
- Postcards that people can distribute and use to submit without online access.
- Presence at events (including a Sports Network Breakfast we are hosting on 17 March – stay tuned for further updates)
- Education pack (An information pack has already been distributed to schools with follow up to come)
- Digital signage on MAD Media
- We are also planning a publicity boosting event involving hundreds of students at the hub on the week of 15 March (more details and confirmation to come)
- Our dedicated web page will also be used to channel people to submit and can be a place to refer people from your community for further info https://www.sporttaranaki.org.nz/new-plymouth-multi-sport-hub/