PS4 NPL: Tigers FC go top of fledgling Competition


Saturday 16th April 2016
FFA COE 2 (Mirza Muratovic 23’, Rahmat Akbari 86’) Gungahlin United 1 (Nathan Duck 90+3’)

FFA COE claimed their second home win of the season as they defeated Gungahlin United 2-1 at the Australian Institute of Sport on Saturday afternoon. The FFA side were worthy winners, despite ending the game with ten men following the dismissal of Luke Callen for receiving two yellow cards in the second half. The first chance of the game came early as FFA COE midfielder Marc Tokich was worked into space by Jaidon Seldon and, when his shot was half blocked, it fell kindly to Bryce Bafford but, under pressure, he couldn’t get enough in the shot to trouble Jason Denham in the Gungahlin goal. John Roberts was next to go close, a trademark header from a Tokich free-kick flashing over the crossbar. For the visitors, Marcial Munoz blasted an effort from 25m over the bar but in the main neither goalkeeper was seriously tested inside the opening twenty minutes. That changed however as the hosts took the lead midway through the first half. The goal was created by a superb burst down the right flank from full-back James Fletcher. His deep cross to the far post created uncertainty in the Gungahlin defence, missing out goalkeeper Denham, and Mirza Muratovic arrived to nod down and into the net off the base of the post. The introduction of Nathan Duck for the injured Jake Wilsener added extra impetus to the Gungahlin attack and he was extremely unlucky to be called back when clean through on goal for a free-kick to the Gunners much to the chagrin of the visiting bench. Trailing at the interval the Gunners introduced target man Frano Blazevic in the second half and he was to go close to levelling matters with ten minutes left of what was a fractious second forty-five, epitomised by the dismissal of Callen and five further yellow cards, when his header was well saved down low by Matthew Sutton. It was the Centre of Excellence who appeared to have put the game to bed with four minutes remaining as they got the second goal their performance deserved. Already having seen Roberts’ spectacular bicycle kick disallowed for a correct offside call, they made no mistake late on. Jaidon Seldon created it by fizzing a dangerous ball across the face of the six yard box where substitute Rahmat Akbari was lurking to turn the ball into the net. Gungahlin set up a nervy last couple of minutes for the home team when they scored a consolation in stoppage time, Nathan Duck blazing in from close range, but by then the FFA COE had done enough to take the three points. 

FFA COE: 1. Matthew SUTTON, 2. James FLETCHER, 4. Kaleb COX, 5. Joel KING, 6. Kai TREWIN, 9. John ROBERTS, 11. Mirza MURATOVIC, 15. Luke CALLEN, 20. Bryce BAFFORD, 22. Jaidon SELDON, 23. Marc TOKICH
Substitutes used: 10. Lachlan BROOK, 14. Rahman AKBARI, 16. Ben OBST
Gungahlin United: 1. Jason DENHAM, 2. Alex MOSCARITOLO, 3. David DEXTER, 4. Christian JUNNA, 5. Jason O’DWYER, 7. Regan WALSH, 10. Marcial MUNOZ, 11. Jake WILSENER, 12. Mitch STEENBERGEN, 14. Liam WALSH, 15. David JENKINS
Substitutes used: 6. Justin RANKINE, 9. Nathan DUCK, 17, Frano BLAZEVIC
YELLOW CARDS: 4. Kaleb COX, 10. Lachlan BROOK, 22. Jaidon SELDON (FFA COE), 3. David DEXTER, 7. Regan WALSH, 11. Jake WILSENER, 14. Liam WALSH (Gungahlin United)

Belconnen United 0 Canberra FC 1 (Domenic Giampaolo 77’)
(McKellar Park)

A goal from Domenic Giampaolo thirteen minutes from time gave Canberra FC a 1-0 success over Belconnen United at McKellar Park. Giampaolo struck from a rebound, after his penalty was saved, to seal the win that, on the balance of play, they probably deserved.  There was nothing to choose between the teams in the first half with defences on top and both midfields fighting hard for possession in what was a fierce battle that kept the decent sized crowd on its toes. Chances however were slim with Belconnen reduced to sporadic efforts from distance whilst the visitors, arguably, created the better opportunities. Thomas James went closest early on for FC heading a volleyed Josip Jadric cross over the bar when well placed before Michael Mensah saw his downward header from a corner comfortably grasped by Adam Perakovic in the Blue Devils goal. At the other end Dustin Wells kept FC custodian Rory Larkin honest, forcing the ‘keeper to push away a dipping drive from distance, but it was Canberra FC who almost took the lead before the half-time whistle, twice going close. Firstly, Jadric thought he had netted a world-class strike, spotting Perakovic off his line from 55 metres and sending in an audacious lob that narrowly failed to find the target with the back-tracking goalkeeper grateful to see the ball clear the bar. The reds went even closer a minute from the break when left-back Jordan Lamb curled a beauty from 25 metres that beat Perakovic but cannoned back off the underside of the bar and was scrambled to safety by the Blue Devils defence. FC started the second half on the front foot with James curling an effort past the post after decent approach work from Giampaolo whilst Jason Ugrinic began to cause issues with his pace and trickery going close with a rasping drive that skimmed the top of the net and had Larkin worried. As the game finally picked up pace Jadric hammered a shot at goal that Perakovic beat away but defensively Belconnen was reasonably solid with Aisosa Ihegie, playing out of position at full-back, coping very well with the pace of the FC front line. Ihegie was caught out of position with twenty minutes to play but FC couldn’t take the chance as James Field pushed a shot wide when he might have done better when well-placed at the far post. The visitors were certainly upping the tempo and almost broke through when Jadric struck the bar with a lob after following up when James was denied by Perakovic. The respite was temporary for the Blue Devils as Canberra FC went ahead in the 77th minute. Awarded a penalty for handball Giampaolo saw his spot-kick brilliantly saved by Perakovic. Unfortunately for the ‘keeper the rebound fell straight back to the striker who had the easiest of tasks to tap in. 

Belconnen United: 20. Adam PERAKOVIC, 3. Dustin WELLS, 4. Matt GRBESA, 5. Toby RICHTER, 8. Conor NOLAN, 9. Sam SMITH, 10. Jason UGRINIC, 11. Goran MUKEVSKI, 12. Aisosa IHEGIE, 14. Callum BEATON, 16. Cameron REINHART
Substitutes used: 7. Taylor BEATON, 13. Ahmed UGOOL
Canberra FC: 1. Rory LARKIN, 5. Izach CLEMENTS, 6. Ryan KEIR, 8. Ian GRAHAM, 9. Thomas JAMES, 10. Dominic GIAMPAOLO, 14. Josip JADRIC, 15. Jordan LAMB, 16. James FIELD, 17. Aidan BRUNSKILL, 19. Michael MENSAH
Substitutes used: 18. Misko NAUMOSKI, 21. Nikola BARISIC
YELLOW CARDS: 11. Goran MUKEVSKI (Belconnen United), 8. Ian GRAHAM, 17. Aidan BRUNSKILL (Canberra FC)

Sunday 17th April 2016

Monaro Panthers 1 (Mark Shields 39’ (pen)) Tuggeranong United 1 (Emilio Kista 76’)
(Riverside Stadium)

Monaro Panthers and Tuggeranong United shared the spoils in a keenly fought 1-1 draw at the Riverside Stadium. Mark Shields first-half penalty gave Panthers the lead only for Emilio Kista to level with a header with fourteen minutes to play. The early exchanges were bitty as both sides struggled to come to terms with the difficult playing surface and neither side fashioned a real opening in the first quarter of the match. Young Daniel Felizzi was a constant menace on the right flank with his pace causing the United defence problems whilst, for Tuggeranong, the strong running Marco Gayer appeared their most likely outlet. A long throw from Sean Kiddey created the first half-chance as the ball fell nicely for Sam Shadbolt, but his effort was blocked by the covering Panthers defence. Tuggeranong were making more of the running at this stage with midfielder Kista seeing plenty of the ball and testing Panthers’ ‘keeper Nathan Alferink with a curling shot from the edge of the area. It was therefore a little against the run of play when Monaro took the lead just six minutes before the half-time interval. A neat build-up saw Sam Roestbakken break into the box where an errant touch saw the ball pop up, Sean Kiddey made an attempt to reach it but bundled over the Panthers player for a stonewall penalty. Shields’ usually doesn’t need a second invitation to score from the spot and made no mistake, sending United goalkeeper Tom Barton the wrong way with consummate ease. It was that single goal that gave the Panthers a narrow advantage heading into the second half. The second stanza was almost a mirror image of the first with both teams struggling to stamp their authority on the contest. Tuggeranong turned the screw in an attempt to force an equaliser bringing on forward Nikolaos Kalfas as they tried to stretch the Panthers defence but, all too often, the final ball into the area was hopelessly over hit. The free-running Kalfas was linking well with Kista and Gayer but it was from long throw specialist Kiddey that United almost forced an equaliser, his mammoth throw narrowly failing to be turned in by a posse of Tuggeranong attackers. Monaro meanwhile threatened on the counter-attack with Lachlan Hunter showing admirable pace on a number of occasions without quiet finding the killer pass. Tuggeranong finally found a way through with sixteen minutes to go. Midfielder Aaron Cashman was the catalyst, forcing his way into the box and swinging over a delicious cross that was met with a perfect downward header from Kista to level the scores. And they should have led in the 83rd minute when Kalfas shot fell kindly for Jonathan Reis in front of goal but his shot came back off the upright. 

Monaro Panthers: 21. Nathan ALFERINK, 3. Daniel HEARLE, 4. Luka MARKULIN, 5. Chris RUIZ, 6. Alan MURPHY, 7. Daniel FELLIZZI, 8. Sam ROESTBAKKEN, 10. Mark SHIELDS, 12. Tony SPASESKI, 13. Ed MCCARTHY, 15. Amanzie KESSIE
Substitutes used: 9. Lachlan HUNTER, 14. Martin DENG
Tuggeranong United: 1. Tom BARTON, 4. Sam SHADBOLT, 6. Sean KIDDEY, 8. Daniel ROBERTS, 9. Aaron CASHMAN, 10. Emilio KISTA, 11. Marco GAYER, 13. Tim ANDERSON, 14. Andrew SLAVICH, 15. Liam HIGHMORE, 16. Eddie COGGAN
Substitutes used: 3. Jonathan REIS, 7. Nikoloas KALFAS 
YELLOW CARDS: 8. Sam ROESTBAKKEN (Monaro Panthers), 9. Aaron CASHMAN (Tuggeranong United)

Canberra Olympic 0 Tigers FC 1 (Alex Oloriegbe 70’)
(O’Connor Enclosed)

By William Bremner

Jacob Cole proved to be the Tigers FC hero in a hard fought battle with Olympic at O’Connor. His penalty save from Philippe Bernabo-Madrid at 0-0 was decisive and preceded by moments Alex Oloriegbe's second half winner.  In a game between two of the favourites for this seasons competition a single goal was always going to be difficult to overcome and so it proved. The first half was reasonably benign compared to the fireworks of the second. Tigers FC probably shaded possession but apart from a menacing right foot curling effort from Steven Domenici, expertly tipped over by the outstanding Konstantinou in goal, had little to show for it. In fact Olympic had the better of the chances. Robbie Cattanach will be the first to admit he might have done better on 15 minutes when he scuffed a right foot shot wide from a good position following a Tom McLachlan cut back. Around the half hour mark Olympic had two chances inside two minutes. A neat combination between Jordan Tsekenis, Adam Rogic and Jeremy Habtemariam resulted in the latter finding space deep in the box only to inexplicably choose to pass rather than shoot. Then diminutive midfielder Daniel Colbertaldo found himself through on the keeper only for Cole to save at his feet. 0-0 then at half time but the score line did not reflect what had been an entertaining first half. The second stanza opened with a change of personnel for Olympic with Rogic being replaced by Victor Yanes. Shortly after the restart Nick Bobolas was forced off with what appeared to be a quad injury and he was replaced by Phillipe Bernarbo Madrid. The latter change was to have a significant outcome on the game as Colbertaldo was pressed into a make shift central defensive position and would receive his second yellow and subsequent red cards in that spot.  Twenty minutes into the second half and the match turning moment arrived. Yanes, chasing a hopeful loose ball, was clumsily challenged by Cole and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Up stepped Bernabo-Madrid but his firmly hit spot kick was brilliantly saved by Cole diving to his left and parrying the ball to safety.  Almost straight away Cooma went on the attack. A through ball caught the home team defence high and square and Daniel Barac, operating on the visitors left, streaked toward goal before squaring for Oloriegbe to finish a classic counter attack.  The simmering tensions thus far held in check came rushing to the surface as players from both sides to the physical elements of the game to a new level. Barac late on Tim Bobolas might have seen red but was issued a yellow card. A flurry of further cards ensued and Bernabo-Madrid may likewise think himself lucky to only receive a yellow when he fouled Barac from behind. The football when it did break out was exciting to watch as  Olympic, pushing for an equaliser, left themselves open to the renowned Tigers counter attack. Olympic too attacked with some menace and a Madrid scorcher crashed into the foot of the post and away to safety.  Konstantinou made two very good saves in quick succession, Cattanach had a shot saved at the near post but the game was ultimately decided by two magic moments from Cole and Oloriegbe. 

Canberra Olympic: 20. Angelo KONSTANTINOU, 2. Tim BOBOLAS, 4. Daniel COLBERTALDO, 5. Phil YARNOLD, 6. Jeremy HABTEMARIAM, 8. Bernard RENE, 10. Robbie CATTANACH, 12. Adam ROGIC, 15. Tom MCLACHLAN, 17. Nick BOBOLAS, 18. Jordan TSEKENIS
Substitutes used: 9. Philippe BERNABO-MADRID, 11. Michael REEVE, 99. Victor YANES
Tigers FC: 1. Jakob COLE, 2. Nahuel GUERREO, 3. Hussein FUREJE, 4. Osman FOFANAH, 5. Julian BORGNA, 6. Dejan SANTRAC, 7. Goran JOSIFOVSKI, 8. Jeremias IBARRA, 9. Daniel BARAC, 10. Alex OLORIEGBE, 17. Stephen DOMENICI
Substitutes used: 14. Nicolas ABOT 
YELLOW CARDS: 2. Tim BOBOLAS, 9. Philippe BERNABO-MADRID, 12. Adam ROGIC (Canberra Olympic), 1. Jakob COLE, 2. Nahuel GUERREO, 4. Osman FOFANAH, 7. Goran JOSIFOVSKI, 9. Daniel BARAC, 17. Stephen DOMENICI (Tigers FC)
RED CARDS: 4. Daniel COLBERTALDO (Canberra Olympic)

CU Academy v Woden-Weston FC – Match Postponed


Click Here


5 Sam SMITH (Belconnen United)
3 John ROBERTS (FFA COE), Nicolas ABOT, Stephen DOMENICI (Tigers FC)
Jason UGRINIC (Belconnen United), Jordan TSEKENIS (Canberra Olympic), Tomas KRKLEC (CU Academy), Bryce BAFFORD, Jaidon SELDON (FFA COE), Mark SHIELDS (Monaro Panthers), Domenic COLUCCIELLO, Marco GAYER (Tuggeranong United)
1 Matt GRBESA, Toby RICHTER, Dustin WELLS (Belconnen United), Nikola BARISIC, Robbie DEELEY, Domenic GIAMPAOLO, Josip JADRIC, Thomas JAMES (Canberra FC), Tim BOBOLAS, Robbie CATTANACH, Jeremy HABETMARIAM (Canberra Olympic), Joshua GULEVSKI (CU Academy), Rahmat AKBARI, Mirza MURATOVIC, Marc TOKICH (FFA COE), Alex MOSCARITOLO, Nathan DUCK, Liam WALSH (Gungahlin United), Ed MCCARTHY (Monaro Panthers), Osman FOFANAH, Alex OLORIEGBE (Tigers FC), Emilio KISTA, Jonathan REIS, Sam SHADBOLT, Andrew SLAVICH (Tuggeranong United), Bensah AFIABO, Daniel DI-SALVATORE, Ben GRIEG, Tom HIRST, Matthew WATERS (Woden-Weston FC)


Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.