Founded in 1973, Willetton Basketball Association Inc (WBA) is renowned Australia-wide for a high level of success at domestic and representative level basketball in the state, providing successful development pathways for junior basketball players, allowing both male and female players to reach their full potential in both social and representative basketball. We have strong domestic competitions for juniors through to seniors and a consistent and outstanding track record for the numbers and quality of players who make it into representative and state teams.
WBA is one of the largest associations in Western Australia, and is a large and influential community organisation South of the River. Working closely with the City of Canning, and with the support of more than 1,000 volunteers, we run a vibrant and well-supported domestic competition for junior and senior players. Our exciting recent development has been the expansion of the Willetton Stadium, to create one of the largest sports centres south of the river. This magnificent new facility has 8 mixed-use indoor courts, a large function room, a large café, abutted by a community-friendly pedestrian plaza, to be completed by the City of Canning by 2023.
WBA is committed to the development of referees, coaches and officials, to support the overall objectives of the sport of basketball.
The pinnacle of the Association is the National Basketball League 1 (NBL1) Tigers Men’s and Women’s team. Our Tigers teams have won numerous State Championship flags over the past three decades, proudly displayed over the Stadium show court. We pride ourselves on a culture of high-performance, and work constantly to improve ourselves, both professionally, and on the court.
We view ourselves as a major hub of our community, a welcoming and friendly destination that links families and neighbours. We will continue to develop our programs to meet the diverse needs of our member base, and anticipate our growth trajectory to continue well into the future.
Some more facts about our Association and how we operate:
- We run domestic basketball competitions at junior (grassroots) level Monday through Saturday, with over 4,000 players.
- We run adult basketball competitions Monday through Thursday nights, with over 1,000 players.
- We are closely linked to the Willetton Senior High School basketball scholarship program, and also enagage with other local high schools to provide first rate facilities for their use.
- Our referee, coach and officials development program is strongly supported.
- Junior players from the age of 3 can attend skills classes to learn how to play, as well as attend a more formal, targeted Academy program for older children.
- Every school holidays we run fun school holiday camps with a variety of indoor sports.
- With multi-sport facilities, we have regular badminton, volleyball events, and will host State level netball events.
- We host and provide support for community sports programs and carnival days.
Updated 25/1/21 MM
The Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries and Lotterywest. Due to COVID-19 our annual quiz night could not take place, and the Under 14s AJC carnival was canceled. The Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries and Lotterywest provided $3140 in grant funding to the association to assist with the cancellation of the event and help the return to sport.
The State government through the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries and Lotterywest is a major supporter of Willetton Basketball Assocaition inc in Western Australia. Sport and recreation builds stronger, healthier, happier and safer communities.more -->