Start playing basketball!
Have you played basketball before?
If you are new to basketball and need to learn the rules, skills and gain some experience, see our Devlopment Camps and Development Skills/Programs menus.
(1) Join an existing school team which often many children do by asking their schools sports master/sports co-ordinator if they know of any students who may already be playing in a basketball team; as there may be a place available for them in a school/friend's team.
If your school does not have any teams playing in our competitions, we can help them form teams. Usually children from the same school have friends with similar sporting interests, so forming a team becomes easier with children and parents knowing each other, and there is the possibility of sharing transport means to & from games. To help schools form teams, we work with the sports master/co-ordinator to run free basketball clinics at their school to help facilitate this.
To start this process contact us at the office on 9980 6255 or email us at email@example.com and type "forming a school team" in the subject heading.
(2) Join an existing team in our competitions, by emailing us your child's details to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will need the following information:
- Players full name
- Height (in cm's)
- Date of Birth
- Name of school
- School Year
- Basketball playing background (i.e. positions played and how long you have played)
- Basketball skills (i.e. a good defender, shooter rebounder, ball handler etc).
- Other sports played - involving passing & catching
- List if you are: athletic/quick/strong/fast runner/fit
- Day(s) of the week wanted to play
- Preferred grade or level of competition you wish to play in
(3) Enter your own team by getting together a group of friends and forming your own team. This is one of the most common ways to start playing in a team, and anyone can do this. Head to Competitions tab and Registering Teams & Players to register your team.
Competition days for primary school teams
Mondays - Year 1/2 boys & girls teams
Tuesdays - Year 3/4 girls and Year 5/6 girls teams
Wednesdays - Year 3/4 boys & Year 5/6 boys teams
Competition days for high school teams
Mondays - Year 9/10 girls teams
Tuesdays - Year 9/10 boys teams
Thursdays - Year 7/8 boys & Year 7/8 girls teams
Fridays - Year 11/12 boys teams (U21 league)
Season 1 = school terms 1 and 2
Season 2 = school terms 3 and 4
* except for U21 Men who play school terms 4 & 1, then school terms 2 & 3
What size basketballs are used
Primary school year 1/2 competition - size 5
Primary school years 3/4 and 4/5 competitions - size 6
Women's Senior competitions - size 6
Boys High School years 7/8 and 9/10 competitions - size 7
Men's Senior competitions - size 7
Unisex Competitions - size 7
Training/practice for your game
Generally only school or club teams have the resources to provide weekly training for teams playing in our competitions (when available HKBA staff can assist schools with training sessions however many teams do not train or practice - they just attend their weekly game to play.
Whether a team trains or not varies from team to team; and is usually dependent upon the availability of the coach and players - and finding a suitable venue (indoor/outdoor). In many instances players who do not have the opportunity to train with their team attend one of our many weekly skills classes to use this as their practice session to work on their game.
For more information on these classes see the Players/Programs menu of this website (and also the Players/Camps menu for holiday skills programs).
All players must be registered with BNSW which ranges from $80 to $112. This must be completed online at this link https://membership.sportstg.com/regoform.cgi?aID=12705&pKey=3304fe494794b50d5ff360da2ce4aabc&formID=54509
- 2020 Fees
- 1/2 Competiton $67
- Primary school $72
- High school $77
- Senior $82