Season 2017 - Presidents Report, Luke Gemmell
Presidents Report for Season 2017
I would firstly like to congratulate all of our players from U/6 through to A Grade for a great year at the Quakers Hill Destroyers. I would also like to thank all of our Mums, Dads and Carers for choosing to be a part of the ‘Destroyers Family’ this season. I look forward to seeing you all return for the 2018 season. This year we saw further growth in our membership numbers and also great results on the field. We are also very healthy financially thanks to some very good work and guidance from our Treasurer.
I must also say a very big thank you to our previous President Damien (Dingo) Riddle. Damian has been with the Destroyers for many years and we certainly appreciate all of his great work and dedication to the club.
Our Presentation Day will be held at Waite Reserve on Sunday 29th October. This will be a big day of awards, presentations and festivities for all of our teams. There will also be rides and other great activities –so don’t miss the fun.
Our separate Senior Presentation Day (for A Grade) was be held at on Saturday the 21st October at Toongabbie Bowling Club.
As a follow on from my mid season report I would like to provide additional summaries of club events and major news stories:
- Our very first Junior (Saturday) Division 1 Premiers in the history of our Club. Well done to all players and coaching staff in the U/9s.
- Our club hosted (home) semi-finals for the first time-which were very successful.
- A very big year for our Try Time team. With the hosting of our first annual Sponsors day clash and Gala Day at Waites Reserve
- Masters Module – We hosted a very successful Masters module.
- Our Inaugural Return to Quakers Hill Day – this was a big day with the highlight being a great game of football between current players, former players and Dads.
- We had a very successful visit from the Penrith Panthers NRL side. This was a great night of coaching clinics, meet and greets and of course a sausage sizzle.
- Nil players or members charged for misconduct – not one player sent off or suspended – and only 1 warning. A great result!
- Our Major Season Fundraiser – an 80s theme night - was a fun night of activities.
- We had 21 teams and 344 Registered Players.
- District Coach of the Year –Meta Tusini. Our nomination for coach of the year was successful in winning this Prestigious Penrith Award – well done to Meta. We are very fortunate and proud to have you coach and train 3 teams at the Destroyers.
- Our other club nominations for Penrith District Awards were;
- o Brad James- Volunteer of the Year
- o Kellie Snudden – Manager of the Year
- o Jacqueline Wallace – Trainer of the Year
Gala Days- Our under 8- Div 1 team performed well - runners up in the Mark Geyer Cup open to the best 36 teams in Sydney. Winners of the Plate Division of the Tommy Bishop Cup which was open to the best 32 teams in NSW
Our U/9 -1 & 2 s took part in the annual Pesle/Dicker Memorial Shield.
Semi final teams – we had 8 teams playing semi final football this year and this included;
- U/9 – Div 1 and Div 3; U/10 – Div 4; U/11- Div 2; U/14-Div 3
- U/16 and U/18 Girls
- A Grade
From here we had three teams progress through to the Grand Finals which included;
- U/9 Div 1 - Premiers
- U/9 Div 3 - Runners Up
- U/14 Div 3- Premiers
Congratulations to all teams who made the semi finals and of course to our three courageous teams who made the Grand Finals.
I can’t thank our hardworking committee enough. As with most seasons we have our challenges however this season was very pleasing with mostly great weather (nil competition washouts except the trials) and only minor incidents. It is great to see us all stick together and get on with the job at hand.
There is much to be done in order for our club to operate in an effective and efficient manner. Some of these tasks include:
- Line Marking and field maintenance
- Cleaning of amenities, change rooms, storage and gear rooms
- Canteen Operations including ordering of products and of course the Barbecue Roster.
- Registration Activities.
- Merchandise / Gear Ordering and Sales
- Team Management and communications.
- Rosters for First Aids Trainers and Ground managers.
- Coaching and Training Coordination
- Special Event Management- including sub-committees.
- Overall Club Communications, Treasury and Strategy.
A very big thank you to all our committee members.
Our Coaches, Managers and training staff are the heart of our teams. Your time and dedication in providing a fun atmosphere for our players is much appreciated. And of course the main aim is to help develop the skill levels of our players to help ensure they play the game of Rugby League in a safe and enjoyable manner.
And once again a special thanks to all of our Mums and Dads who are dedicated to the Quakers Hill Destroyers. I would like to thank those of you who are regularly seen helping out on the Barbecue or in the Canteen and who have also attended regular committee meetings. Your time and enthusiasm is certainly appreciated and does not go unnoticed.
Development players – once again our club has been very active in developing players that have gone on to be recognised for Penrith Development Squads. This is a very high achievement and all players who have been selected should be very proud.
And finally I would like to say a big thank you to all of our great Club and Team Sponsors. Without your generous support we would not be able to survive as a club and provide great value registration fees.
I look forward to the 2018 season.
President - 2017 Season.