Learn To Play
ANYONE CAN LEARN TO PLAY AUSTRALIAN RULES FOOTBALL!
Want to try a new sport, get fit, and have fun?
Learn to play footy in a safe and fun environment, with your mates.
The Calgary Kangaroos are now offering our Learn to Play beginners' pathway, a 14 session (over 17 weeks) program that will teach you all the basics of Australian rules football. The program will culminate in our Side Street AFL 10s Spring Cup, and each player will have the opportunity to represent Calgary at the AFL Alberta 10s Championship in Banff, AB. Prospective players can enter the program at any point during the 7-session indoor block, as these are generalized skills sessions. If you need to miss some of the sessions, don't be discouraged from registering!
EVERYONE IS WELCOME
As long as you share our passion for sport, that's all that matters. We accept registrations from all age groups (17+), male or female. Female registrants will be referred to our sister club, the Calgary Kookaburras. No matter what your skill level or experience, you're welcome at the Kangaroos! We also accept registrants of all nationalities, be that Canadian, Australian, Kiwi, Slovakian; everyone is welcome. Around 50% of our club is made up of Canadian newcomers to the sport.
14 SESSION PROGRAM
The program spans 17 weeks, with 14 sessions designed to teach you how to become an Aussie rules player. The first nine sessions are dedicated beginners sessions held indoors. After a two week break (with some potential outdoor optional practices), you will be drafted into one of our Side Street Spring Cup teams, where we will play six weeks of AFL 10s, a modified Aussie rules game designed to be played on smaller grounds. If you wish, you can then travel to Banff with the team, and represent Calgary in the AFL Alberta 10s Championship.
NO SPECIAL EQUIPMENT REQUIRED
Unlike beginners' hockey, where you have to supply all your own (often expensive) equipment, Aussie rules requires no special gear. The only thing you will require are runners (for the indoor sessions), and soccer cleats and a mouth guard for the outdoor Side Street Cup games. The Calgary Kangaroos will supply all other equipment, such as playing kit and balls.
Our Learn to Play program will cost you only $100. This is extremely low compared to other beginners' programs (eg hockey, skating, ski/snowboarding), which can range from $300 and up. We believe in giving new players a fair go, with low fees and the flexibility to come and try our sport. If you fall in love with Aussie rules, we offer an easy pathway to become a full member of the Calgary Kangaroos.
You will learn all the fundamentals of Australian rules, including kicking, hand balling and tackling. You'll also cover rules and tactics, helping you to become an integral part of the Calgary Kangaroos.
NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED
We understand that most Canadians may not have even seen the sport of Australian rules football played before. That's why the first nine weeks of the program are dedicated to introducing the most important skills required to play Aussie rules.
- Thursday Feb 1st 2018 - 7pm @ University of Calgary Gold Gym
- Thursday Feb 15th 2018 - 7pm @ University of Calgary Gold Gym
- Thursday Mar 1st 2018 - 7pm @ University of Calgary Gold Gym
- Friday Mar 16th 2018 - 7:15pm @ Repsol Centre Gyms 4 and 5
- Sunday Mar 25th 2018 - 6.30pm @ Repsol Centre Gyms 2 and 3
- Wednesday Apr 4th 2018 - 6pm @ SAIT Cohos (outdoor session)
- Wednesday Apr 11th 2018 - 6pm @ SAIT Cohos (outdoor session)
Side Street AFL 10s Spring Cup:
- Wednesday Apr 18th 2018 - Time: TBD @ Aero Park, Cnr 18 Ave & 21 St NE
- Wednesday Apr 25th 2018 - Time: TBD @ Aero Park, Cnr 18 Ave & 21 St NE
- Wednesday May 2nd 2018 - Time: TBD @ Aero Park, Cnr 18 Ave & 21 St NE
- Wednesday May 9th 2018 - Time: TBD @ Aero Park, Cnr 18 Ave & 21 St NE
- Wednesday May 16th 2018 - Time: TBD @ Aero Park, Cnr 18 Ave & 21 St NE
- Wednesday May 23rd 2018 - Time: TBD @ Aero Park, Cnr 18 Ave & 21 St NE
AFL Alberta AFL 10s Championship:
- Saturday 26th May 2018 - All day @ Banff, AB
WHAT IS AUSTRALIAN RULES FOOTBALL?
Never heard of or seen Australian rules football? Check out the video below: