By Peter Booth



BALWYN 12-12-84 def VERMONT 9-22-77


A fine day with a strong wind to the northern goal. Cotchett replaced M.Stewart and Morse made a welcome return in the reserves after missing 6 weeks. It was a tense afternoon with the top 4 teams still juggling for positions and as it turned out there was no change with Croydon retaining top spot followed by Balwyn, Vermont, Lilydale and Blackburn. We play Balwyn again next Saturday in the Qualifying final at Bayswater.

It was a tough hard hitting game and almost a repeat of last year’s grand final when we kicked with a strong breeze and managed 2-11. On Saturday we had the wind and kicked 3-11 to 3-1 in the first quarter. Mendes received a hard but fair knock that took the wind out of his sails but within 5 minutes he was back doing what he does best. Henley, Ross, Bardon, Stephen and Mends were prominent early as we peppered but continued to miss the goals. Froud kicked our first via Bardon. Cotchett goaled via Mendes then Ross kicked our third. A feature of the term was a wonderful smother by Fyfe. At ¼ time we led 3-11 to 3-1.

 Balwyn kicked the first 4 goals of the second quarter to hit the front but Mullett restored the lead close to half time. We really played well keeping the ball wide and retaining possession to wind the clock down with the Tigers having the breeze. At half time we led 4-12 to 5-2. Better players for the half were Henley, Cullen, Ross, Mullett, Millhouse, Mendes and Bardon.


In the 3rd term we kicked 5-5 to 3 goals. Papillo goaled followed by Millhouse who kicked the next two after being moved from the backline. Balwyn put up a wall across our half forward line and marked with ease as we bombed the ball too often. When Cotchett goaled we led by 31 points. Then came a turning point in the game that ultimately cost us victory. Balwyn kicked 3 of the next 4 goals to cut our lead with the wind. Stephen goaled to give us a lead of 21 points at ¾ time 9-17 to 8-2.

Early in the quarter Matt Greig limped off with a bruised heel and did not return..

We all felt 21 points would not be enough. Balwyn kicked 4 goals to 5 behinds in the last term but did not hit the front until the 24 minute mark. Stephen had a kick directly in front with 90 seconds to go but somehow muffed it. We had our opportunities in that final term but the wind was a factor. Fyfe who copped a heavy knock in the 2nd quarter was forced to leave the ground and players were cramping in this very spirited affair. The Tigers hung on for a 7 point win in a game that was purely academic as it changed nothing on the ladder.

Better players for the half were Ross, Mullett, Mendes, Cullen, Stephen and Johnson.


Goalkickers – 2 each to Cotchett and Millhouse and singles to Papillo, Ross, Stephen, Froud and Mullett.

Best Players – Mendes, Ross, Mullett, Cullen, Henley, Bardon, Stephen and Millhouse..

Possessions – Mullett 32, Stephen and Mendes 28, Henley and Bardon 26, Millhouse 24, Waller 23 and Cullen 22.

1% - McCarthy 13, Stephen 12 and 7 each to Ross, Papillo, McLure, Fyfe and Cullen.

Coach’s Comment – We had our opportunities.



BALWYN 17-14-116 def VERMONT 11-10-76


The Reserves were playing against a top 5 team. Balwyn had the wind and kicked 5 goals to one with our lone goal coming from Bull. Henderson was starring and Morse was showing his class after missing many weeks through injury. In the 2nd term with the breeze we kicked 4-6 to 1-2. Our pressure was fantastic. Goals came from Luke Davis, Morse with two and Rosewarne. At half time Balwyn led 6-7 to 5-6. Better players for the half were Henderson, Morse, Illott and Rogneda.


The Tigers kicked 9-6 to 1 goal in the 3rd term to wrap up the result. Our only goal came from Adam Hanley. At ¾ time they led 13-15 to 6-6.

In the last quarter we kicked5-3 to 3 goals. McDonald kicked 2 with singles to Bull, Whitchell and Caneva.  Better players for the half were Morse, Henderson, Whitchell, Illott and F.Stewart.


Goalkickers – 2 each to Morse, Bull and McDonald with singles to L.Davis, Whitchell, Caneva, Rosewarne and Hanley.

Best Players were – Henderson, Morse, Illott, Whitchell, Rogneda and F.Stewart.

Coach’s Comments – Balwyn had 35 minutes with the breeze in the 3rd quarter – we only had 18 minutes with the wind in the final quarter as the game had to finish at 2.05pm. Over the season we have improved individually and as a group. It has been fantastic. Today they we bigger and used the ball well.



LILYDALE 13-15-93 def VERMONT 9-13-67


As the game was played at Lilydale I didn’t get a chance to go but spoke to coach Graeme Hocking when he arrived at Balwyn. Lilydale was playing to retain a spot in the five but we went head to head with them until ¾ time. At half time Lilydale led 4-6 to 4-4. We led by a goal at ¾ time 9-10 to 8-10. They kicked 5 goals to nil in the last quarter to win by 26 points.


Goalkickers – 2 each to Geraghty and Youseff and singles to Checkley, Gabrial, Kealy, Johnson and Baird.

Coach’s Best Players – Woolard, Checkley, Cooper, Johnson, Williams and Geraghty. Coach’s Comments – A good effort but we ran out of legs. They had more to play for.


Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.

Major Sponsor



Patterson Cheney Holden