R8 Vs Lilydale
Three terrific wins on Saturday that made for a great weekend. And what a even season it is. Incredibly we have won just one game less than the top side and are in 5th spot by percentage. We have some very vital games coming up and none more important than against 4th side East Ringwood next Saturday. The winner will be right in the mix. The Reserves are still undefeated on top and the Under 19’s are third.
Some highlights from Saturday were :-
1. The Lilydale oval was in fantastic condition, the best surface we have seen all year and the best in the history of the Lilydale FC. I reckon. But the Lilydale Show might give it some grief. And the sun was out !! For a while.
2. The gutsy comeback in the final quarter by the Under 19’s typified by the effort of Jimmy Pritchards who desperately beat two bigger opponents that created a vital goal.
3. The quarter time speech by the Super Coach Jeff Rudd. After the Reserves boys played a terrible first quarter. Firstly he had volume that could have been heard in Montrose and then the big line “ The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary”. The trouble was saying it that loud meant the opposition could be inspired as well.
4. The 12 goals by Adrian Gileno in the Reserves. Certainly the right response when you have been omitted from the senior side.
5. The performance of our youngsters in the Seniors, particularly Nick Mendes and debutant Lachie Johns who looked class in everything he did. Also the continued improvement and consolidation in the side of other younger boys, Xavier Barry Murphy, Ryan Wilson, Kyle Emley, Travis Bird, Lachie Ryan and Tim Johnson.
6. The competitive heart of Robbie Ross and the shear brilliance of Ryan Mullett.
7. The Lilydale canteen pies & pasties. Our official Pie expert Michael Miller was in heaven. Which will be about the only time he is