CYMS' hour of power puts Bears into hibernation

GALLERY, VIDEO: CYMS' hour of power puts Bears into hibernation

Played in perfect conditions at Wade Park, CYMS tore through Blayney for the opening 60 minutes before the Bears scored two late tries, salvaging some respectability.

CYMS centre Jerome Harrison opened the scoring in the third minute when he latched onto a flick pass from winger Robbie Mortimer, and player-coach Mick Sullivan dived over five minutes later.

McAlpine slotted both conversions, and converted the first of his two tries six minutes later. 

With the green and golds leading 18-nil after 15 minutes, and dominating, a blowout threatened.

CYMS’ monster pack continued to eat metres through the middle of the ground, but a 25th minute intercept try to Bears halfback Terry Brown - far and away his side’s best - wrenched Blayney back into the game - for about two minutes.

VIDEO: What the coaches said after the game:

McAlpine crossed again, and converted, before CYMS five-eighth Matt Rose grabbed a four pointer, extending the green and golds’ lead to 24.

Brown skipped through some lazy CYMS defence on the stroke of half-time, which, even with 40 minutes left, looked to be a consolation try with Blayney trailing 28-10 at the break.

It wasn’t until 17 minutes into the second period that CYMS second rower Kyran Bubb crossed, with McAlpine adding the extras to push the score to 34-10.

CYMS wouldn’t score another point, but even though Blayney crossed thrice more in the final 20 minutes a comeback victory looked unlikely.

Bears centre Josh Rainbow grabbed a late double, and winger Casey Wallace crossed as well to reduce the gap to 10 at full-time.

“I was very pleased with the first 60 (minutes),” Sullivan said.

“It was a disappointing last 20 but I think the boys relaxed a bit. We played that first 40 and did it, I think, a little bit within ourselves, and we probably backed off in the last 20.

“(But with) the kind of attacking prowess (Blayney) have out wide, if we slacken off they’ll take advantage.”

The win keeps CYMS undefeated at the top of the Group 10 premier league table, still to play their rescheduled match against Lithgow Workies.

“We’ve got a fair squad together, and plenty of options as well,” Sullivan said.

“If we can keep getting our wins where we should coming into some big games ... it stands us in good stead, in the top part of the ladder with so many home games to finish.”

Injured Blayney captain-coach Dane Howarth lamented his side’s “disappointing” first half performance, but said the signs remain positive in Bear country.

“Our structure was horrible, our on-line attack was non-existent, we were playing desperation football it wasn’t good,” Howarth said.

“It turned out we won the second half, so we’ll go back to training with the bye this week and focus on the positives I think.”

ORANGE CYMS 34 (Ben McAlpine 2, Jerome Harrison, Mick Sullivan, Matt Rose, Kyran Bubb tries; McApline 5 goals) def BLAYNEY BEARS 24 (Terry Brown 2, Josh Rainbow 2, Casey Wallace tries; Wallace 2 goals).


Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.