When the club was first formed in 1874 the committee comprised W McKenzie, W Harrison, H Spriggins, A Spicer and R McDonald.
The club competed prior to WWII(1936-1939, reforming after the war, the cllub won the 1945 premiership in the GDFL and then disbanded at the end of the 1947 season.
In 1966, Merv Walker snr noticed McDonald Reserve not being used and just laying idle. He approached the then Shire of South Barwon for permission to start a football team and play on McDonald Reserve. The shire informed him before he could do this he must form a club hence "the birth of the Blues"
A public meeting for Belmont residents was held in the Thompson Hall in Thompson St and was chaired by Terry Hogan of the Geelong Football Club.
Merv Walker was elected first president, Warrick Plunkett secretary and Des Coltish appointed senior coach
In 1971 disaster struck. The clubrooms were burnt to the ground and all records and equipment lost.
A building fund was launched immediately with the committee and players conducting a door-knock in Belmont to raise new funds. New clubrooms and social rooms were built as a result of this appeal