Round 1 - Senior Game Summary

Round 1 kicked off on Saturday and Fish Creek took on Tarwin at Terrill Park in a warm but windy day. Both sides had a number on new players on display and will be hoping to challenge at the pointy end of the season. This would prove to be a fantastic display of tough, hard pressure football that was a great way to start the season 2012.

Tarwin won the toss and kicked with the wind advantage but it was Fish Creek that got out of the blocks the fastest after Hoskin cleared the centre and kicked into the forward 50 where Livingstone gathered and snapped a nice goal only 30 seconds in. A massive blow for Fish Creek when CHF Hooker tweaked a Hammy only minutes in and he was done for the day. Clean possession was proving difficult in the conditions and it was a Fish Creek turnover that handed the ball to Tarwin for their first goal of the day to Jamie Cann. Tarwin were now beginning to use the wind to advantage and started to get on top with further goals to Browne, Cameron and another to Cann who was proving a handful up forward gave Tarwin a nice 20 point break before Fishy grabbed a goal back moments before the quarter time siren with a snap from C.Park after a nice handball from J.Danckert. The Sharks up by 14 points at the first break.

The second got under way and Fishy kicking with the wind went into attack again very quickly through Cooper who gathered the centre clearance, his bursting play and long kick resulted in only a point. Fish Ck. were up and about and keen to use the wind advantage quickly and when L.Park laid a beautiful tackle and kicked a goal from the resulting free kick Fishy were right back in it. R.Staley who was fantasic in defense for Fishy shut another Tarwin forward thrust down and passed to C.Park who run and carried the ball 50m before a pass to Sperling whose snap had another goal on the board for Fishy and the margin back under a goal. This seemed to spark the Sharks again and a goal to B.Chalmers after a 50m penalty followed by further goals to Stewart and another to Cann his 3rd after another 50m penalty and the Sharks had the margin back out to 20pts. Fishy had to get one back and they did when Hoskin snapped one against the run of play. Tarwin again answered with a strong Russell mark and goal, he and Blencowe were having a great battle with Blencowe on top for the most. Fishy needed a goal before half-time and when Livingstone found Law on the lead and he goaled the margin was 14 points at the main break.

The second half underway and again it was the Kangaroos who started the better after a strong mark and goal from Rouda who had been moved up forward after only a couple of minutes. The football was being hotly contested and some strong tackles and bumps would see some sore bodies on Sunday. Fish Creek played their best quarter for the match and although they only kicked 3 goals for the quarter they kept Tarwin goalless and took a 5 point lead into the final change. Rouda was lively after going up forward and could have easily had 3 for the quarter. Cann was still lively up forward for Tarwin and proving a difficult match up for Fishy. The Chalmers Brothers were also going very well for Tarwin with Ben the Sharks best player. Cooper for Fishy Creek really started to get going and was providing plenty of drive out of the backline. Manne was getting on top in the middle and had the better of the duals around the ground. Another blow to Fish Creek when they lost Peterson with a knee injury leaving only one on the bench. Tarwin had the final shot at goal for the quarter when Williamson marked, his kick offline meant that Fishy went into the final break with a 5 point lead. The final quarter was a cracker with both sides defenses being tested continuously and both standing up, it wasn’t until about the 20 minute mark that the shackles were broken and Tarwin goaled through P.McRae to give the Sharks a lead by 2 points. Another blow for Fish Creek when Manne hobbled to the bench after twisting his ankle badly in a marking contest, this cleaned the Fish Creek Bench out with no one left to rotate. Tarwin continued to attack but inaccurate kicking meant that only 2 more behinds were added, the lead 4 points with about a minute remaining. Fish Creek had one final attack and went forward, the ball kicked long into the F50 where lively forward Sperling gathering the ball dodged his opponent and snapped on his left, his team mates and the crowd went up as one and when the goal umpire signaled a goal the Kangas were back in front. The ball went back to the centre and the Kangaroos locked down for the final seconds before the siren signaled a great win to Fish Creek and disappointment for Tarwin. Best players for Fish Creek were Cooper, Staley, Manne, Rouda, Blencowe & Livingstone and for Tarwin the Chalmers boys, McKenzie-Edwards, McMicking, Cann & Houston. Fisk Creek play Foster next weekend in the forst of what is hoped to be an Easter Tradition and Tarwin will have a bye.


Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.

Major Sponsor

Notice Board



wishes everyone a

very successful 2017.

Go Fishy!



Support Fish Creek Football Netball Club by registering your reward token at IGA Leongatha to our club!