Chatham Cup Final: ECB 1 Dunedin Technical 0

A ten minute bus ride from the club deposited the team at North Harbour Stadium around 2.40pm and the team wandered down the tunnel to see Western score a late goal with only minutes left on the clock. Trouble was, Lynn-Avon had scored six. A sparse crowd estimated at 150 - 200 witnessed the formalities and it was time to prepare for the big event. NZ Football were gloomy about the crowd potential, hoping for at least 1250 to 1500 as United Soccer 1 had scheduled games at 2.45pm. The shuttle bus from the club was busy, depositing blue and white bedecked supporters at regular intervals while the team went about their preparations. One of our 10th Grade sides kept the crowd entertained with a game against Waitakere City and at 4.20pm it was time for both teams to line up in the tunnel. The player escorts were members of Joe and Dan"s 9th Grade team and both sides entered the ground for the formalities before kick-off. The game itself was not much to write about, but, hey, it"s a Cup Final and there"s a lot at stake. Bays started on attack with Dan Peat making a great run only to be let down by a poor pass and George Suri headed just wide from a free kick all in the opening minutes. Jeff Campbell put a free kick just over the bar and Aidan Gwilt made his first save after 27 minutes, comfortably handling a shot by Andy Coburn. The pressure finally told in the 35th minute when a long throw by Ryan Zoghby went into the box. Dunedin skipper, John Chisholm was harried by Joe Bresnahan and his back header evaded both the keeper and Tristan Prattley who only succeeded in making certain the ball ended in the back of the net. Leigh Kenyon who was dominating the midfield along with Bresnahan and Campbell was closed down minutes later and half time came with Bays up 1-0. The second half started with Jack Beguely put through and it required a fine save by the Dunedin keeper, Nick Tarrant, to parry the shot for a corner. Both Suri and Nick Hyde were making the final third a no go area for Dunedin and the corner count was getting horribly lopsided in Bays favour but poor finishing meant the score stayed the same. In the 78th minute Peat broke through but Tarrant pulled off a tremendous save. The clock finally ran down, the final whistle blew, the Bays side rushed to their supporters, and Leigh Kenyon held the cup aloft as the partying began. NZ Football were happy too with a final crowd on 2900 with at least 2500 delerious Bays supporters.

Team: Gwilt, Forrest, Hyde, Suri, Zoghby, Kenyon, Campbell, Bresnahan, Peat, Beguely (Webster 68), McKeown (Estrin 83) Subs not used: Jewell, Morgan-Howell, Kubicki

Scorers: og 35


Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.

Notice Board

East Coast Bays Summer Sevens

Click Here for all the details.

Register now to avoid missing out.

The Premiers and Development team have finished their season.

Business Directory

Notice Board

Lotto Sports are now operating a virtual store online.  Soccer Scene are no longer stocking ECB football gear.

Follow the link below to order uniform online direct from Score Sportswear

Club Code is ECBAFC3. 







Club Sponsors

Charitable Trusts

NZ Football News