ECB 1 Three Kings United 2 played 25/04/2011 at Bays City Park

In an outstanding defensive effort, a ten man, depleted, East Coast Bays side held Three Kings for over an hour. However, they were overwhelmed in the last fifteen minutes, suffering their first defeat of the season.


It started well, even though the rain was pouring down, the pitch was in excellent condition. Bays pressed for the start and took the lead in the ninth minute when Jeff Campbell latched on to a Dan Peat cross and smacked it into the Three Kings goal.


The game changer happened in the 15th minute when Sam Mathews attacked the Bays goal and was brought down by Avi Estrin. A penalty was awarded, but the referee adjudged Estrin to be the last man in the tackle and he was red carded and Bays had to play the next 75 minutes with ten men.


Alejandro Blanco took the penalty for the visitors, his shot was brilliantly blocked by Aidan Gwilt, who also managed to turn the rebound away for a corner.


Gwilt produced another great save minutes later to deny Three Kings again.


However things got worse just on the half hour when Ryan Zoghby was forced off with a hamstring injury being replaced by Alec Solomon


Apart from a Peat header that was just wide, Bays spent the remainder of the half defending.


The second half saw more Bays defending as Three Kings took advantage of the extra player. Jeff  Campbell also had to leave the field after aggravating an injury.


Gwilt produced another great save to turn away a Sam Margetts  pile driver, while at the other end, Dillon Barnett was put through but hit his shot straight at the keeper.


Barnett had a second chance, minutes later, when he was again put through, but again he shot straight at the keeper.


The visitors were piling on the pressure. Gwilt made another great save, the ball was cleared off the line from another attack but fatigue was setting  in from the constant defending.


The with fifteen minutes remaining, Blair Konik got the ball on the edge of the penalty area and drove his shot just inside the upright, giving Gwilt no chance.


It was now a matter of hanging on for a draw as Three Kings continued to batter the Bays goal. Gwilt saved from point blank range again, but with six minutes remaining, a cross was only partly cleared and Kronik got his second.


Bays used their last reserves to try and snatch an equalizer, with Peat and Joe Bresnahan both going close, but it was not to be and a jubilant Three Kings bench celebrated when the final whistle went.


Team:  Gwilt, Forrest, Beguely, Zoghby (Solomon 31), Estrin, Webster, Kenyon, Bresnahan, Campbell (Young 51), Peat, Barnett (Pilkington 67).


Scorers:  Campbell 9


Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.

Notice Board

East Coast Bays Summer Sevens

Click Here for all the details.

Register now to avoid missing out.

The Premiers and Development team have finished their season.

Business Directory

Notice Board

Lotto Sports are now operating a virtual store online.  Soccer Scene are no longer stocking ECB football gear.

Follow the link below to order uniform online direct from Score Sportswear

Club Code is ECBAFC3. 







Club Sponsors

Charitable Trusts

NZ Football News