It is the responsibility of the Goal Umpire to umpire matches in accordance with the Laws of the Game. The Goal Umpire reports to the Field Umpire during the match and is accountable to the Team Manager.
- Determine whether a goal or behind has been scored;
- Signal that a goal or behind has been scored after being given the all dear or touched all clear by a field umpire;
- Record all goals and behinds scored by each team during a match;
- Report any player or official who commits a reportable offence;
- At the end of each quarter and at the end of each match, both goal umpires shall compare the score they have recorded; and
- Liaise with all other umpires officiating in the match.