Calling all Youth Players from U12 - U17! If you're a youth footballer with a passion for the game, a drive to be a better leader and role model, and a love of the Panthers...our Juniors need you!
This season we are introducing a new initiative where U12-U17 Youth players can take on a mentoring role with one of our Junior Teams.
As a Mentor you'll be assigned to a Junior Age Group team, where you will:
- Assist the coach with the running of drills
- Share/teach your football skills and knowledge with the younger players
- Teach by example the importance of a good work ethic at training
- Be a role model to our future Youth players
- Build your own leadership and coaching skills
- Be an inspiration!
We only ask that you commit a minimum of one training session per fortnight. That's just one hour!
As players move from Junior to Youth footy their skills continually evolve. An important part of that evolution, (and one rated highly by prospective coaches and drafters), is the development of a player's leadership skills...both on and off the field. We are hoping that this Program will assist players further develop these skills, and also provide an important link between Youth and Junior football.
All boys chosen as Mentors will be given special recognition, both on our Social Media and Website, and also on presentation night.
If you're keen to get involved as one of our first EVER Mentors, please contact Alan McGrath on 0413736475 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Profiles of some of our previous mentors below:
This is Angus "Guus" Irvine, a member of our Under 15's team. Guus will be mentor to our Under 11 Red's.
Here's a little of his impressive football bio:
- Played over 110 games in AFLBJ
- 2012 Under 12 Metwest VC and selected in the QLD U12 team.
- 2104 Brisbane Inner North VC
- 2015 Under 15 MetWest team
- Member of the Lions Academy since 2012
Guus has also played U14 an U15 rep cricket, and is a keen sailor!
In 2014 Guus spent 3 weeks in Cambodia and Vietnam on a trip that included trekking and assisting renovation work at an orphanage.
Guus is new to our club this year. We welcome Guus and his family, and thank him for volunteering to be a mentor and role model for our Junior players.
Great stuff Guus!
This is Connor Stewart, a member of our Under 13's squad. Connor will be mentoring Under 8 Orange.
A little about Connor:
- Started playing AFL in 2008 at 5 years old.
- Played for Coorparoo and Calamvale before joining the Panthers in 2014.
- 2014 Sunnybank U12 District team
- Member of 2014 U12 Div 1 Premiership side
- Almost 100 games of footy
Off the field, Connor likes to play his Playstation, enjoys swimming and cricket and watches most sports, often attending Brisbane Lions, Roar and Broncos home games. He started Year 7 at Brisbane State High School this year and is enjoying trying out other sports.
Connor comes from an AFL family. His dad Bruce is a past AFL umpire and his sister Jess, an AFLBJ’s player and umpire. Connor will also be doing some club umpiring this year.
Connor is looking forward to working with the Under 8 Orange players and coaches.
Well done Connor!
This is Connor McGrath, a member of our Under 14's squad. Connor will be mentoring Under 9 White.
A little about Connor:
- Started playing for Morningside in 2009 as an Under 8
- Member of the 2013 Under 12 Div 4 Premiership side, and grand finalists 2014
- Member of his team leadership group 2014 and 2015
- Will play his 100th game for Morningside this year
Off the field Connor enjoys gaming, skateboarding and hanging out with mates. He’s an avid Lions fan, and has been a Lions member since age 4.
Connor considers one of his greatest achievements was completing a 5 day mountain trek in Nepal as a 10 year old.
Connor can’t wait to help out the Under 9 White players and coaches in any way he can.
Nice one Connor!
This is Ryan Cole. Ryan is a member of our Under 13's squad, and he'll be mentoring the Under 11 Blacks.
A little about Ryan:
- Member of our under 13’s squad
- Started play AFL in 2008 for the Panthers as a 5 year old
- This is Ryan’s 8th year at the Panthers
- Played over 100 games for the Panthers
- Member of 2013 Under 12 Div. 4 Premiership side
- Member of 2014 Under 12 Lytton District team
- Member of 2014 Under 12 Met East team
- Member of 2014 Under 12 Div. 1 Premiership side
- 2nd year of Club Umpiring at the Panthers
- Other interests: running, swimming, fishing, tennis, play station and watching live sport
- Favourite AFL team: Brisbane Lions
- Nickname: Coley
- Ryan is the eldest of 3 boys, brothers are Charlie 11 and Jack 6
Love your work "Coley"!
We profiled Ryan Cole yesterday...well this is his younger brother Charlie. Charlie plays in our Under 11 Black team, and will be mentoring the Under 8 Whites.
A little about Charlie:
- Started playing AFL in 2010 for the Panthers
- This is Charlie’s 6th year at the Panthers
- Will play 100 games for Panthers this year
- Also a member of 2015 Under 12 Div. 4 squad
- Other interests, running, swimming, fishing, table tennis, cricket and play station
- Nickname: Chuck
- Favourite AFL team: Gold Coast Suns
Well done Charlie...and what a great family effort!!