CODE OF CONDUCT
Basketball is intended to be a recreational activity for enjoyment and health. This code
of conduct has been developed by Basketball Victoria to give participants some guide to
the expectations it has on those participants. It is intended to assist everyone to obtain
the maximum benefit and enjoyment from their involvement in basketball. As a result,
the quality of participation will be improved so people are more likely to start and
continue their involvement in basketball. Enjoy!!
1. Encourage your children to participate for their own interest and enjoyment, not yours.
2. Encourage children to always play by the rules.
3. Teach children that an honest effort is always as important as a victory.
4. Focus on developing skills and playing the game. Reduce the emphasis on winning.
5. A child learns best by example. Applaud good play by all teams.
6. Do not criticise your or others’ children in front of others.
7. Accept decisions of all referees as being fair and called to the best of their ability.
8. Set a good example by your own conduct, behaviour and appearance.
9. Support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from sporting activities.
10. Respect the rights, dignity and worth of every person.
11. Show appreciation for volunteer coaches, officials and administrators.
12. Keep children in your care under control.
13. Always respect the use of facilities and equipment provided.