North Tamworth Bears Rugby League Club - Est. 1911
The North Tamworth Bears Rugby League Club was formed in 1911, just 3 years after the formation of Rugby League in NSW.
Formed from the "defection" of the North Tamworth Rugby Union team the North Tamworth Rugby League Club played the first game of League in Tamworth at No 1 Oval on 22nd of July 1911, giving birth to the Club and the game in this region.
The Bears have had a chequered history which has involved 3 distinct periods- the Rebel/Originals era 1911-1935, the Tri Colour era 1947-1955 and the North Tamworth Bears era 1964-current.
The Club has played in 30 First Grade Grand Finals and have successfully won more than half of them.
In 1965/67 the club established its own ground and facilities on the former Police Paddock on the Manilla Road. The facility was titled Jack Woolaston Oval in 1985 in honour of club stalwart and former founding President.
In 2011 the Bears celebrated their 100th year anniversary and in 2013 the 50th Anniversary of the Bears era, 1963 - 2013.
Most recently the Bears came away from the 2013 season as Minor and Major Premiers in both U16 and Reserve Grade sides, with U18's and First Grade being pipped to the post in the Grandfinal.
In 2014 the Bears will comprise of three teams - U18's, Reserve Grade and First Grade, and we welcome aboard a Ladies League Tag side for the first time.