The Riddell District Football League grand final rematch was no thriller, with Diggers Rest again proving too strong for Riddell.

Both sides fielded very different line-ups from those of last season’s decider, won by Diggers Rest in extra time.

On Saturday the Burras led by 21 points at quarter-time.

Both sides scored 1.1 in a more even second quarter, but four goals to none in the third, opened up the Burras’ lead to 44 points.

Heavy rain and strong winds wreaked havoc in the final quarter. Neither side could do much with the ball in poor visibility and the lights needed to be turned on.

The Burras held strong in the terrible conditions, kicking 4.8 while keeping the Bombers scoreless for a 14.13 (97)-3.3 (21) win.

Burras coach Shaun Sims was full of praise for his side’s defenders in holding the Bombers to just three goals.

“It’s always best to start the year with a win,” he said.

“After the five-minute mark of the second quarter, we kept them goalless – to keep an expected top side to that score at our ground was a really good effort.”

Jamie Lobb kicked three goals for the Burras with Chris Lawton, Mark Freeth and Matthew Krul kicking two each.

Sims said Lobb, Cale Morton and Krul were the three standouts with not many players playing well for all four quarters. He said Krul was exceptional playing up forward and in the midfield instead of his usual defensive role.

For the Bombers, the Treweeks, Stephen and Michael, along with Scott Walsh, were the side’s best.

Sims said his side still had a lot of room for improvement and would benefit from another two weeks on the track before its next game.

For their next match, the Burras will travel to take on Woodend-Hesket on April 22.

Sims said the Burras had a new look about them this year.

“There was seven or eight guys who were not part of the grand final side,” he said of the side that beat Riddell. “We brought in three or four from under-18s and a couple of other guys who have been performing strongly.

“It’s the youngest team we’ve had in about five years. Those who got their opportunities were exceptional.”

Sims said he expected four or five players would return to the side in the next couple of rounds.

In other matches, Macedon had a big win against Wallan, Woodend-Hesket snuck home against Lancefield, Rupertswood smashed Broadford by 195 points, Melton Centrals defeated Rockbank and Sunbury Kangaroos came from behind to beat Romsey.

Only one match will be played this week, with Romsey hosting Melton Centrals under lights at Romsey Park on Thursday night.