RUGBY LEAGUE HEADSAFE TRAINERS COURSE
The NSW Rugby League will host a HeadSafe Level 1 Course for Sports Trainers 19th January 2016 from 1030 till 1330 at The Australian College of Physical Education (ACPE), 8 Figtree Drive, Sydney Olympic Park NSW 2140
- Level 1 is designed for Sports Trainers, First Aiders, Medics, Coaches Players and Parents (runs till 1330)
- Level 2 is for Doctors, Physios, Paramedics and Nurses (runs all day following on from Level 1 course with practical examples and exercises)
- This Category One Activity has been approved by the RACGP QI&CPD Program. Total Points: 40 Category One points
The HeadSafe course is devoted to the Acute Management of Head Injuries and Concussion specifically for League
Headsafe teaches the first person on the scene of a potential head injury how to assess and manage the situation.
Areas covered in the training include:
- Review the features of sport-related concussion
- Understand the definition of sport-related concussion
- Understand Baseline Cognitive Testing
- Understand sideline medical role and tools
- Determine appropriate in-office evaluation (doctors and physios)
- Review current treatment options
- Analyse the role of neurocognitive assessment and investigative radiology for concussion
- Know when to refer to ER or specialists
- Implement appropriate return to play (RTP) protocols following a concussion
- Focus on Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)
The HeadSafe course is taught by experts in the field to ensure that the experiences gained have practical application in the real world
KEY HEADSAFE MESSAGES INCLUDE:
- All Head Injuries are serious.
- There’s no such thing as a tough brain.
- When in doubt, sit them out!
- All head injuries are neck injuries until PROVEN otherwise (and vice-versa).
- Second Impact Syndrome is real….and can kill.
- Only when all symptoms have gone should a step-wise Return to Play programme start.
- All athletes should have Baseline studies annually.
- Impact monitoring can serve as an “early warning” to concussion.
You will need only comfortable clothing to wear, and we will not be doing any tackling….other than of some knotty issues!
Please bring your LAPTOP COMPUTER as well as your PORTABLE SMARTPHONE/TABLET (iPhone, iPad, Android etc) if you have them, so that you can utilise the online tools we will be demonstrating…..some run only on the full PC/Mac platform, others on both computers and mobile devices. If you need a Wireless Internet “dongle” or to “tether” your computer to your phone, please make arrangements and test them prior to arriving……unsure if WiFi is available at the venue.