Knights in semis - Eagles upset Lions


Albion Park-Oak Flats Eagles have claimed their second big scalp of the season after they ground out a 14-6 win over Gerringong at Centenary Field on Sunday.

With heavy rain a constant through the afternoon, it was the home side who made the most of their opportunities and pushed through playing with 12 men for the majority of the game.

The wet and muddy conditions took their toll on the game, with handing errors a common occurrence.

The home side looked the more dangerous in the game’s opening stages, a Sean Jenkins bust almost led to the first points.

It didn’t take much longer for the first points to come though, Eagles’ fullback Blake Jones finding just enough of a gap to score out wide for 4-0.

The Eagles’ joy at their early lead was short-lived however when Gerringong’s next set of possession saw centre Simon Harris sent-off for an alleged lifting tackle.

While they may have been a man down, the Eagles played to the conditions better and the kicking game of Matt Carroll kept Gerringong under pressure as he manufactured a number of repeat seats.

The tactic paid off when five-eighth Chris Rowles dived over from close range.

Carroll’s conversion made it 10-0.

Gerringong looked like they would open their account thanks to some nice work by Danny Wedd but the Eagles killed the ball in goal before the Gerringong winger could dive on it and the score line remained unchanged at half-time.

As the players returned for the second half so did the rain and the opening stages of the second half was played in torrential rain.

After the rain Gerringong dominated possession and finally managed to open their account.

A Joel Roberts bomb resulted in an error and the ball found it’s way into the arms of Adam Moore who barrelled over.  Roberts’ conversion made it 10-6.

Moore’s try seemed to spark the Lions, but some poor hands and lack of composure meant they couldn’t trim the lead anymore.

Carroll’s boot then bought the Lions undone again, the halfback first to the ball after grubbering into the in goal to make it 14-4.

Sensing they were running out of time Gerringong tried all they could to get themselves back into the game but Albion Park produced some stout defence to hold the visitors out.

For the home side, Carroll, Jenkins and Kurt Holloway were the Eagles’ best, while Nathan Ford, Andrew Poppett and Tim Moore did all they could for Gerringong.




WARILLA-Lake South Gorillas have taken a grip on the VB South Coast Group 7 minor premiership and severely dented Jamberoo Superoos semi-final hopes after a 30-14 win at Cec Glenholmes Oval on Saturday.

In an at-times spiteful game, the Gorillas flexed their muscles in a convincing performance against a desperate Jamberoo side who trailed 16-4 at half-time and launched a fightback midway through the second half, but in the end the home side finished strongly to win comfortably.

Both sides were below full strength, the Gorillas without five-eighth Jesse Dee who dislocated his shoulder last week, while Jamberoo were still without props Gavin Jarrett and Luke Gilmore and lost winger Ben Barnard at halftime and coach Matt Coelho late the game.

It was Jamberoo who got the better start and the combination of the Maslanka brothers on the right side that gave rookie winger Kyle Stokes a sniff and he did superbly to dive over the corner.

However this only sparked the home side into action and on the back of a penalty, Gorillas prop Damien Paulissen took the most direct rout to the try line through two defenders to level the scores.

Both sides traded more that possession in the next 15 minutes, with Warilla’s Aaron Henry and Jamberoo’s Matt Coelho spending time in the sin bin after a melee as tempers flared.

The Gorillas grabbed the lead in the 27th minute when Jamberoo failed to defuse a bomb and Tyson Brown dived on the loose ball to grab the lead and Craig Nolan converted for a 10-4 lead.

This try really lifted the home side and just four minutes later they struck again when Ryan Johnston stormed onto an Aaron Henry pass to crash over, and Nolan again converted to give their side a commanding 12 point lead.

The early stages of the second half were tight as Jamberoo battled to get back into the game, but a delicate grubber-kick by Henry into the in-goal gave Brown his second try and almost immediately Brown was again in the action as he sent winger Jarryd Pepper over to extend the score to 24-4.

But suddenly the Superoos found some momentum and in the 63rd minute Jamberoo half Jono Dallas showed all his attacking class as he comfortably beat his opposite number to score under the posts. Jarrod Schodde’s conversion took his side to double figures.

Three minutes later they were in again when replacement hooker James Asquith showed great strength to force his way over from dummy-half out wide and at 24-14, the visitors had a glimmer of hope.

But that was quickly distinguished when a mistake almost from the restart gifted Warilla field possession and Aaron Henry made them pay when he scored next to the posts and Nolan’s conversion rounded out the scoring.

In a powerful display, Henry, in his new role at five-eighth, Mark Walsh, Adrew Diomei, Tyson Brown and Ryan Johnston were outstanding for the Gorillas, while Jono Dallas, Simon Maslanka, Kieran Kellaway, Jarrod Schodde and Kyle Stokes tried hard to lift their side.




THE Nowra-Bomaderry Jets took bragging rights in their local derby with the Berry Magpies, with a 36-14 win at Nowra Showground on Saturday night.

The Jets turned back the clock by wearing a retro jersey to pay respect to former Nowra Warriors and the change of strip certainly seemed to pay dividends.

With the Magpies having won their first battle this season and with the faintest glimmer of hope of making the finals, they still had plenty to play for.

They made the ideal start, with Blake Dryden scooting out of dummy half and making the most of some lazy defence to go in under the posts for the Magpies first try.

The Magpies managed to maintain their level of intensity for the first 20 minutes, with the Jets unable to crack their defensive line.

But the mounting number of defensive sets eventually took its toll on the Magpies, with Zac Kershaw crashing over for the Jets first try in the 21st minute.

Kershaw’s try evened it up at 6-all and it wasn’t long before things started to go pear-shaped for the Magpies.

Two minutes later, a chip from Josh Ingold fell right into the hands of the last Jets player they would have hoped for in Mark Brandon, who was off in a flash, running some 70 metres to add to his growing try tally for the season.

The Jets didn’t even need a full set of six before Nathan Falzon crossed for their third try.

Mark Brandon then nailed a tough conversion to put the Jets in front 18-6.

Berry finally managed to get the ball back, but couldn’t hold it for long and paid the price when Ryan James busted through to add another try for the Jets.

The Magpies promising start was well and truly dashed when Steve Brandon scored went in just before half time, giving the Jets a 26-6 lead at the break.

The Magpies injury-ravaged season continued, with Lloyd Sharpe taken off in an ambulance at half time with a knee injury and it only got worse for the visitors when play resumed.

Barely five minutes into the second half, Magpies fullback Blake Harris-Davis spilled the lollies from a Geoff Johnson bomb, right in front of his in-goal.

The Jets took full advantage, with ex-Magpies Mick Blattner burrowing over for a try, much to the delight of his former team mates.

At 32-6, it looked like the scoreboard attendant might be hard at work, but things soon went quiet for the Jets.

The Magpies were finally given something to smile about in the 55th minute when James Knight went over in the corner, bringing it back to 32-10.

A 40/20 from Josh Ingold on their next set of six almost saw the Magpies go back to back, before the ball was lost over the line.

But they made up for it a few minutes later when Blake Harris-Davis crossed in the corner.

With 10 minutes remaining, the Magpies were within striking distance of another try, but just when it looked like a comeback might be possible, they lost a scrum against the head.

If seeing it happen once wasn’t enough, things got more bizarre when the Jets did the exact same thing, two minutes later at the opposite end of the field.

But they were not made to pay a heavy price for the error and when Nathan Deaves crossed in the corner with five minutes remaining, it was all she wrote for the Magpies season.

Ben Wellington, Zac Kershaw and Ryan James were standouts for the Jets, while Pat Watson, Blake Dryden and Josh Coulter were the Magpies best.



KIAMA Knights have put the horrors of their long second round losing sequence to bed after two successive wins and finally wrapped up a semi-final spot after a hard-fought 26-8 win over Port Kembla Blacks on a wet and windy Kiama Showground on Sunday.

In conditions that were hardly conducive to open football, both side struggled at times, and when the Knights jumped out to an 8-0 lead in the opening 12 minutes through winger Jacob Dolan, and with the wind at their backs, it looked like they were in for an easy afternoon.

But with some great ball handling in the difficult conditions, the Blacks picked up their workrate and managed get back into the game though an 18th minute Tane Sturmey try and for the remainder of the half actually looked the more positive side and with the wind at their backs in the second half, would probably have considered themselves favourites.

But as often happens in situations like this, the Blacks failed to capitalize on several great opportunities and were made to pay when a high kick from Knights co-captain Marc Laird was fumbled, the ball was spun wide for centre Corey Grigg to dive over wide out. Prop Matt Gladman landed a superb conversion to extend their lead to 14-8.

Just three minutes later they again put their stamp on the game when Jacob Morrison took on the Blacks defence up the middle to score under the posts and Gladman’s conversion pushed their advantage to 20-4.

The Blacks then gave themselves a sniff of getting back into the game when hooker James Weir found himself on the end of a backline movement to score in the corner, but a close range penalty goal from Gladman and great solo effort from fullback Matt Emerson finished off the Knights effort.

In the end both coaches agreed they had had enough and called the game off with five minutes remaining.

Marc Laird, Cameron Whittaker, Emerson and Gladman were best in a good Knights effort, while young tyros Tane Sturmey and Jack Garrett were head and shoulders above their Blacks teammates as their side’s best.



Shellharbour Sharks kept their slim minor premiership hopes alive with a resounding 64-0 victory over the hapless Milton Ulladulla Bulldogs in atrocious conditions at Ron Costello Oval on Sunday.

The non-stop rain was at its heaviest in the first half and water almost completely covered the playing arena and only for the floodlights the game would not have been able to proceed so dark were the conditions and early in the second half there appeared to be more seagulls then spectators.

The Bulldogs struggled for players and only that three under-18 and two reserve grade players backed up to make up a bare 13 players prevented a forfeit and they had no replacements.

Probably the bad conditions prevented the Sharks from running up a bigger score but players like Bronx Goodwin, Harold Snell, Hans Schuster and Craig Stapleton had big games and Stapleton said conditions reminded him of playing in England.

The game was only a few minutes old when five-eight Jai Dormer scored the first of his teams 13 tries but the Bulldogs almost hit back when a short kick by Kirren Roughley was gathered by Gary Warburton who crossed near the posts only to be ruled in front of the kicker.

Forward Reed Harris brushed off some poor defence to score and then Bronx Goodwin scored the first of his three tries and converted 14-0 and in the final ten minutes of the first half tries were added by Cameron Docker, Harold Snell and Craig Stapleton and Goodwin converted two for the sharks to be 30-0 at the break.

Stapleton scored his second try upon resumption and from the kick off they were in again with Snell touching down and it was 40-0, Goodwin then added a converted try and a short kick was gathered by full back Kurt Field who scored and further tries were added by Goodwin his third, Matt Hillcoat and on the bell by Justin Rodrigues converted by Stapleton and the Sharks had improved their for and against to go ahead of Warilla but require to beat Jamberoo and Nowra Bomaderry to upset Warilla in the final round to be minor premiers.

A word of praise to the Bulldogs 13 who tried hard all day particularly the three juniors Jeremiah Organ, Rory Smith and Todd Jackson, and their best players were probably Gary Warburton and Kirren Roughley in what has been a long hard season.


VB South Coast Group 7 Rugby League round 19 results.


Warilla-Lake South Gorillas 30 (T. Brown 2, J. Pepper, D. Paulissen, A. Henry, R. Johnston tries C. Nolan 3 goals) d Jamberoo Superoos 14 (K. Stokes, J. Dallas, J. Asquith tries J. Schodde goal).

Nowra-Bomaderry Jets 36 (N. Falzon, Z. Kershaw, M. Brandon, S, Brandon, M. Blattner, R. James, N. Deaves tries M. Brandon 4 goals) d Berry Magpies 14 (B. Harris-Davis, J. Knight, B. Dryden tries J. Coulter goal).

Kiama Knights 26 (J. Dolan 2, C. Grigg, M. Emerson, J. Morrison tries M. Gladman 3 goals) d Port Kembla Blacks 8 (T. Sturmey, J. Weir tries).

Albion Park-Oak Flats Eagles 14 (B. Jones, C. Rowles, M. Carroll tries M. Carroll goal) d Gerringong Lions 6 (A. Moore try J. Roberts goal).

Shellharbour City Sharks 64 (B. Goodwin 3, C. Stapleton 2, H. Snell 2, K. Field, C. Docker, J. Dormer, J. Rodrigues, R. Harris, M. Hillcoat tries B. Goodwin 5, C. Stapleton goal) d Milton-Ulladulla Bulldogs 0.

POINTS: Warilla 34, Shellharbour 32, Jets 26, Gerringong 23, Jamberoo 21, Kiama 21, Berry 18, APOF 14, Milton 10, Port 8.



Warilla-Lake South Gorillas 16 (J. Harrod 2, N. Gallestegui tries B. Ford 2 goals) d Jamberoo Superoos 8 (A. Pickup, T. Small tries).

Nowra-Bomaderry Jets d Berry Magpies on forfeit.

Gerringong Lions 16 (J. Blair, J. Robinson, S. O’Leary tries D. Gleeson, J. Blair goals) d Albion Park-Oak Flats Eagles 6 (S. Strasser try D. Gorrell goal).

Shellharbour City Sharks 40 (L. Morrisey 2, J. Butler 2, C. Fing 2, M. Goodall tries B. Skelly 6 goals) d Milton-Ulladulla Bulldogs 0.

Kiama Knights 22 (C. Tanoai 2, M. Ellis, M. Coslovich, R. Blanch tries M. Ellis goal) d Port Kembla Blacks 20 (J. Sullivan, Q. Wikaira, B. Rhynan, N. Michalowski tries P. Varglien 2 goals).



Warilla-Lake South Gorillas 32 (M. Tarrant 2, N. Hore, S. Wilson, D. Shiels, B. Buckman tries S. Wilson 3, H. Bagoly goals) d Jamberoo Superoos 28 (J. Moore 2, K. Gilly, L. Maples, M. Hegarty, J. North tries L. Maples 2 goals).

Berry Magpies 38 (T. Gibbs 2, J. Woodall 2, J. Parrish, M. Pollard, L. Duffell, J. Milne tries J. Parrish 2, J. Milne goals) d Batemans Bay Tigers 0.

Shellharbour City Sharks 36 (J. Field 2, N. King 2, L. Stothard, D. Cannon, H. Looney tries J. Field 4 goals) d Milton-Ulladulla Bulldogs 6 (J. Hayman try N., Brown goal).

Gerringong Lions 24 (E. Cupitt, R. Garrickj, J. Collyer, Z. Duprez tries J. Taylor 4 goals) d Albion Park-Oka Flats Eagles 4 (T. Sibraa try).

Stingrays of Shellharbour 54 (B. Caton 3, K. Ellis 2, D. Jarrett 2, J. Brooker, N. Rootes, K. Sampson tries B. Caton 7 goals) d Kiama Knights 6 (B. Booth try V. Thistlethwaite goal).



Gerringong Lions 64 (J. Rein 2, C. Wishart 2, B. Gillard 2, K. Jarrett, J. Collyer, K. Hobbs, B. Richards, J. Henderson, P. McCarroll tries K. Hobbs 6, J. Rein, B. Gillard goals) d Culburra-Greenwell Point Pirates 22 (K. Swain 2, J. Farrell, P. Farrell tries P. Farrell 2, R. Carpenter goals).

Albion Park Outlaws 34 (J. Jackson 2, M. Jackson 2, K. Kinikini 2 tries J. Jackson 5 goals) d Stingrays of Shellharbour 12 (K. Larder, T. Brooker tries L. Hughes 2 goals).

Shellharbour City Sharks 14 (B. Cannon, S. Wilson, J. Wilkes tries J. Lennard goal) d Jamberoo Superoos 6 (S. Rogan try L. Maples goal).



Jamberoo Superoos 52 (A. McParland 2, J. Priest, J. Redman, E. McParland, K. Cassidy, K. Ward, R. Lord, E. Zimmerman, L. Alliston tries J. Redman 6 goals) d Warilla-Lake South Gorillas 4 (C. Kaplantzi try).

Nowra-Bomaderry Jets 16 (D. Fiez, T. Atfield, H. Hobbs tries D. Fiez, T. Atfield goals) d Berry Magpies 10 (L. Calcraft, L. O’Leary tries K. Meehan goal).
Milton-Ulladulla Bulldogs 62 (T. Love 4, C. Hatch 3, E. Haynes 2, A. Austin, P. Hegyi tries J. Little 8, E. Haynes goals) d Shellharbour City Sharks 0.


Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.

Photo Gallery

Major Sponsors