Flag bearer: Mathlynn (Mattie) Langtor Sasser is the flag bearer for the Marshall Islands. Sasser will be competing in the Weightlifting holds the 58Kg Junior and Senior Oceania titles, and is the Oceania Senior Clean and Jerk record holder.
- Mariana Cress (Women’s 100m) celebrates her 18th birthday during the games.
- Giordan Harris (Men’s 50m Freestyle) is the only team member to have previously competed at an Olympic Games (London, 2012).
- This is only the third time the Marshall Islands have competed at an Olympic Games, the only other two being Beijing, 2008 and London 2012.
- Total islands population of just 59,000.
- The country is made up of a series of atolls, reefs and islets including Bikini Atoll where the USA exploded the first Hydrogen bomb in 1952.
- Average height above sea level on the islands is 7 feet and rising sea levels continue to cause flooding problems especially during the typhoon season. Mattie Langtor Sasser is a big supporter of the campaign to keep rising global temperatures to below 1.5 degrees centigrade.
- The Marshall Islands will be performing the symbolic ‘Jobwa’ dance wearing traditional dress for the dance.
Pictures and facts credit: The Reporter's Academy
Last Modified on 05/08/2016 08:23