Flag bearer: Jenly Wini, 33 year old weightlifter is her country's flag bearer for the second consecutive Olympic Games. She competes in the 58kg event
1. Solomon Islands have been inhabited since 1000 BC, and European infiltration began with the Spanish explorer Alva Ro De Mendana in 1568.
2. It has 5 main islands and thousands of smaller islands making it the 3rd largest group of islands in the South Pacific.
3. It was declared a British Protectorate on 10 June 1893 but achieved independence in 1978. Today it is a constitutional monarchy with Queen Elizabeth II the monarch.
4. There are only two seasons in the Solomons- dry and rainy.
5. Over 100,000 tonnes of tuna are caught in Solomon waters every year.
6. Solomon Islands' Marovo Lagoon, has been dubbed the eighth wonder of the world and proposed as a world heritage sight. At over 100km length is is the world's largest salt water lagoon.
7. The official languages are English, which is only spoken by 1-2% of population, and Solomon pidgin which is the commonly used language; however there are 87 indigenous languages.
8. Solomon Islanders have the highest occurrence of blond hair outside Europe influence in the world.
Credit for the pictures and facts: The Reporter's Academy
Last Modified on 05/08/2016 08:09