The Olympic day Celebrations 2010
Again like every year since Nauru became a family member with International Olympic Committee, the Nauru Olympic Committee have been very successful in staging one of its celebration the Olympic Day . Which was known as the Olympic day run. The celebrations was held on the 26th June 2010.
The staging of the Olympic Day was again enjoyed by the Nauruan people from all age. Like every year more then 10% of the island will gather outside the NOC office at 6:am early Saturday morning to participate in the 5 kilometre fun run. It will be road block from Aiwo District to Anetan district for 3 hours. The firing of the gun commence at 8:am. This is the day where everyone will put on their running shoes, skating shoes, Toddlers will prepare their pushing prams and the able/disable will have their wheel chairs prepared and ready to go. This year HE. Marcus Stephen MP, Head of State and also president of the Nauru Olympic Committee had the honour of firing the gun at the starting line.
Total number of participates 2010- 1146
There were other activities put together thanks to assistance of the Olympic day tool kit receive from the IOC. Which was very useful in using its method of Move, Learn and Discover.
Move : Sending out the message of the IOC president to Nauru radio, Nauru Television, Awareness to the General Public of the activities that will take place, Putting up banners, poster’s around the Island, visiting schools, Raising of the IOC flag at Government building.
Learn: The assistance of the Health department in educating the general public from all age, to learn and play sport to prevent of getting diabetes and obesity.
Discover: Meet with our sport Celebrities with Nauru Olympians, Youth Olympians, our Commonwealth medallist, South Pacific Games medallist, experience the games through the athletes, display of sporting medals trophy’s won by the federation/association.
Sharing the Olympic Values: Respect, Friendship, Excellence, Joy and effort.
Activities took place trophies and prizes to be won:
1. The 5 kilometre fun run from Aiwo district to Anetan District, total 1146 participates.
2. At the Anetan oval held Auskick clinic better known as Aussie rules football at the oval from 10years over to learn how to kick handball a football.
3. Special 2 kilometres walk/run from Nibok district to Anetan District for our able/disable. At the end each disable participate will get free Ice-cream reaching the finish.
4. Other activities: Volleyball, Tug o war, Three legged race and many more.
The Nauru Olympic Committee looking forward for more activity’s and more enjoyable 2011.
· Thank the Government of Nauru and its instrumentalities for their generous support.
· .Thank you to our sponsor Macdonald, Coke Cola, Capelle and Partner for all they have provided and assisted us make this event a successful one.
· To our sports Federation/Association, Boxing, Basketball, Powerlifting, Weightlifitng, Athletics.
· And finally the volunteers for their valuable support.