The Fiji National Sports Commission is advising all National Sports Organisation's (NSO) to comply with the Commissions timeline if they intend to seek grants for their competitions, tournaments, development or scholarships for the next fiscal year.
"It is our intention to approach the Ministry with a funding request and it is important that we receive details of what you believe your requirements would be if we are able to obtain assistance for this position," said Commission Chairman Peter Mazey.
"I cannot stress the urgency in all NSO’s complying with our timelines to ensure they will be considered for assistance in next fiscal year from 1 August 2017 to 31 July 2018," he said.
Mr Mazey sayd they were required to advise Government of the funding requirements of NSO's by 10th March, 2017.
"And the Commission now requires full details, and requests, from those “eligible sporting organisations” by 28th February, 2017," said Mr Mazey.
"Further to the discussions held at the November, 2016 NSO Conference, the Commission is keen on receiving not only your requests for the next fiscal year being to 31st July 2018, but as importantly, those major requests that you are now aware of over the following three years."
He said this principally relates to Hosting of International events or for overseas tours where NSO's are required to attend world qualifying and ranking events.
Current Grants available to “eligible NSO’s” are:
Overseas Sports Tours: To assist to send athletes or teams overseas for international competition. (ONLY available for Ranking or qualifying tournaments of your sports national team or athlete.)
Host International Tournaments: To assist in hosting of international events which have overseas participants.
Short Term Expert Grant: To assist in acquiring overseas experts on short term basis.
Short Term Expert –
Local Development Officer: To assist funding of local development officers.
Sports Scholarship Grants: To assist in sending elite athletes, and technical officials overseas for high level training on a short term basis.
International Coaches Grant: To assist in appointment of international coaches for development of National teams and athletes.
To Be Considered for grants:
1. An NSO to be considered for any grant funding, must be first certified by the Commission as an “eligible NSO” and,
2. Be able to certify that it can provide a major portion of all budgeted expenditure as generally due to the large number of requests received the NSO should budget for 2 thirds of the cost and apply for 1 third from the Commission..
3. Have clearly demonstrated that it is transparent, accountable and practises good sports governance principals.
4. Individual grant request templates (available on Commission website) must be fully completed for each particular request and be delivered with all required documentation to Commission office by 28 February 2017.
5. Grants must include full budgets (income & Expenditure), details of event and invitation, details of benefits for sport and the benefits (detailed) to the Fiji economy.
6. Have fully acquitted and provided detailed reports on any previous funding provided by Government or the Commission.
To be an Eligible Sports Organisations:
To be certified as an “eligible NSO” an organisation must have shown that:
- it practises good sports governance,
- it has 4 year development plans (not just for the sport but also for the funding of the Sport) and
- it shows accountability to its athletes, members and the sport.
The Criteria for applying for eligibility status is:
1. All documents required as listed under Sports Grant Guidelines of Commission website, and
2. Have completed the NSO Certification Check List (NEW) and submitted this with the new grant requests.
Preference for funding assistance will be given to “eligible NSO’s” who are working with the Sports Commission and/or the community in the development of their sport and contributing to the physical wellbeing of Fijians through recreational sports development.
Forms are available here
Last Modified on 13/02/2017 16:33