CHANGES TO NATIONAL COACH SELECTIONS
The NCP (National Coaching Panel) who are responsible for selecting the National Coaches and the NPC (National Program Committee) who are responsible for their appointment and the operation of the NDP (National Development Program) have agreed that in the current climate of coaching knowledge in Palau it would be extremely difficult to find a National Head Coach and Assistant Coach for each of the 4 age groups men’s and women’s squads (that is a total of 16 coaches).
With this in mind the following decision has been taken to apply to these National Squad positions over the next 3 years. All National Coaching appointments are made for a 2 year term. The following will apply to each squad:
· NATIONAL MEN’S AND WOMEN’S SQUADS – a Head Coach and an Assistant Coach (total 4 coaches)
· NATIONAL YOUTH MEN’S AND WOMEN’S SQUADS – the Head Coach of each squad shall be the Assistant Coaches of the National Men’s and Women’s Squads. The Assistant Coaches of each squad shall be the Head Coaches of the National 17 years and 15 years squads (total 4 coaches)
· NATIONAL 17 YEARS MEN’S AND WOMEN’S SQUADS – the Head Coaches shall be the current National Youth Squad Head Coaches. The Assistant Coaches shall be the current National Youth Squad Assistant Coaches.
· NATIONAL 15 YEARS MEN’S AND WOMEN’S SQUADS – the Head Coaches shall be the current National Youth Squad Head Coaches. The Assistant Coaches shall be the current National Youth Squad Assistant Coaches.
This means that during the next 3 years the total number of coaches required for National Squads will be 8. The advantages of this decision are:
· There is continuity of coaches at the younger age groups that will allow for greater education and experience of these coaches during the first few years
· There is continuity from the Youth age group to the Senior level with coaching staff
· There is continuity of coaches and players coming up from the youngest age group over the first few years
Coaches within Basketball Palau’s NDP are required to follow the content of the program as set down and continuity of teaching is therefore very important. The content includes the style of offences and defences that all Palau National Teams must play.
The added experience of our newer coaches at the younger age groups should ensure a higher standard of coaches available to fill the Head Coach positions of our National Squads in future years, and who undertand the NDP, its content and direction.