Micronesian Basketball Confederation reformed
Representatives from all 7 participating countries attended the meeting opened by Palau’s Mr Bill Keldermans. The first decision was to elect Len Isotoff of Guam as President and Topps Sungino of Palau as Secretary-General. The current Charter will be reviewed to allow the several decisions made during the meeting to be included.
The attendees all agreed that to develop basketball within the region we had to take a fresh approach to conducting tournaments and providing competition for various age groups that will lead to improved standards at the senior levels.
The following decisions from the meeting are sure to assist the development of the sport within the region. These include:
· Sub-regional tournaments for 15 and under and 17 and under men and women in two divisions – Eastern (comprising RMI, Kosrae, Pohnpei and Chuuk) and Western (comprising CNMI, Guam, Yap and Palau). This decision will reduce the cost for travel and still provide valuable competition for all countries.
· Conduct the Micronesian Basketball Tournament (MBT) for seniors each 2 years in between the Micronesian Games and to conduct 19 and under age tournaments in the year following the MBT and Micronesian Games. These tournaments will be conducted on a regional basis.
Other decisions included:
- Using local communities of participating counties to house and feed the team to reduce costs.
- When providing hotel accommodation limit the daily cost per player to $25
- Have all teams provide a referee and where possible invite other game officials to obtain experience
- Conduct all age group tournaments on a two year rotation
- Start with the under 15 age group to develop players for higher age competitions
- Have all participating teams pay a bond, part of which will go to the host country to offset tournament costs
- Set the calendar with host countries for 2 years ahead
- Establish a list of guidelines for hosting countries
- Establish a set of rules for all participating teams
- Holding all under age group tournaments during the summer school holidays
The following calendar was set for the next 4 years with host countries to reply and confirm their commitment by October 31st:
2011 Eastern Division 15 and under Pohnpei
Western Division 15 and under Palau
2012 Eastern Division 17 and under RMI
Western Division 17 and under CNMI
Regional MBT Guam
2013 Eastern Division 15 and under TBA
Western Division 15 and under TBA
Regional 19 and under TBA
2014 Eastern Division 17 and under TBA
Western Division 17 and under TBA
Regional Micronesian Games Pohnpei