Colin and Ron conquer the Three Peaks
by Adam H Smith
Twelve teams lined up at the start to contest the 2018 WYC Three Peaks race on Australia Day:
- Steve & Theodora Cross sailing a Hobie 16
- Lynn Dugay and Tony Bayley in a Pacer
- Will Fleming and Ines Vandame sailing a Hobie 16
- Colin Franke and Ron Bange sailing a Pacer
- Jeremy Gray with Hugo and Louis Vandame sailing a Pacer.
- Jessica Gregory and Kira Mack sailing an OziOpti
- Josh Hall and crew in a Pacer
- Nicholas Jurovic and Lachlan in a Flying Ant
- Peter and Sarah Mack sailing a Tasar
- Andrew Stevens and Joss sailing a Pacer
- Xavier Vandame with crew David and Ella sailing a Hobie 16
- Kristian Willand sailing a Hobie 20 with crew of Frank and Jenna
With winds forecast to increase to 15 knots, Race Director Adam Smith set a sailing course inside the reef with competitors having to complete 3 sailing legs interspersed with challenges where they chose to Paddle or Puzzle, Aussie Knowledge or Local Knowledge and Fling or Sing.
After the first sailing leg the teams were very close. Most opted for the Paddle challenge which saw competitors in kayaks and paddleboards searching for their allocated mooring buoy in front of the club. Peter and Sarah solved their tricky puzzle quickly and were the first to leave on second sailing leg.
Soon all the boats were back on the water. Peter and Sarah squandered their lead by completing an extra lap of the course and last year's winner Steve Cross managed to capsize in the strengthening wind and fall to the back of the fleet.
The first teams back to the beach for the second challenge struggled with their Australia Day trivia questions and ended up with some big time penalties for incorrrect answers. Others, including Ron and Colin, had opted to find the mystery house and visit the Tulum Store to note the delights of their Fish Tacos and left the beach for the last sailing leg still very much in contention.
On returning to the beach for the final time, Xavier and Kristian found they had both incurred the wrath of the race director for leaving the beach early and consequently earned the unique Three Peaks penalty (see our Facebook page for the video!). This put Colin and Ron comfortably in the lead with Andrew Stevens and Joss and the Vandame boys with Jeremy also in contention for the places as Xavier and Kristian waited out their penalty.
Despite a late surge in the basketball challenge from Will Fleming and beanpole Nicholas Jurovic, the placings remained with Colin and Ron in first place, Andrew and Joss second (winning the lamingtons!) and Hugo, Jeremy and Louis winning the BBQ Shapes on offer for third place. Jessica and Kira won a special Caramello Koala prize for the best attempt at singing the National Anthem.