Goals All 'Round - NPL Round 3 Wrap

Round 3 of the National Premier Leagues delivered another entertaining weekend of football right across the Sunshine State.

Review the results, goalscorers, match summaries and competition table in the weekly wrap.




Pos  Club P W D L F A +/- Points
1  Olympic FC 3 3 0 0 18 4 +14 9
2  Moreton Bay United Jets FC 3 3 0 0 8 3 +5 9
3  Redlands United FC 3 2 0 1 15 4 +11 6
4  Sunshine Coast FC Fire 3 2 0 1 12 2 +10 6
5  Brisbane Strikers FC 3 2 0 1 9 11 -2 6
6  Western Pride FC 3 1 1 1 3 6 -3 4
7  Brisbane City FC 3 1 0 2 12 11 +1 3
8  Palm Beach Sharks FC 3 1 0 2 5 4 +1 3
9  Northern Fury FC 3 1 0 2 7 8 -1 3
10  FNQ FC Heat 3 1 0 2 4 10 -6 3
11  Queensland Academy of Sport 3 0 1 2 2 10 -8 1
12  CQFC Energy 3 0 0 3 3 24 -21 0

Queensland Academy of Sport - 0
Palm Beach Sharks FC - 3 (Mat HILTON 8’, Justin MCKAY 34’, Riley DILLON 56’)
Saturday, 23rd March 2013 – Perry Park, 5:00pm
Crowd: approx. 600 (double header combined)

Palm Beach secured their first NPL win against an Academy side that struggled to contain the Sharks’ striking combination of speed and physicality.

Hilton’s opener – a stunning over the shoulder effort from an acute angle- had already provided Palm Beach an early lead when Abrahim Yango was shown a red card for a second bookable offence; Sharks capitalising shortly after through captain McKay

The Academy weren’t without their chances, even when reduced to ten, however never nullified the Palm Beach threat; Dillon’s second half goal just before the hour mark deservedly sealing all the points for the Gold Coast-based club.

Moreton Bay United Jets FC - 3 (South 54, Joseph 63, McEvoy 82)
Northern Fury FC - 0
Saturday, 23rd March 2013 – Wolter Park, 6:00pm
Crowd: unavailable

Moreton Bay move into second place on the table, and maintained their unbeaten start to the season after seeing off some early pressure from Fury.

In a clichéd game of two halves, the visitors started energetically, and produced a raft of chances in the opening half hour but were unable to convert.

The hosts then gained the ascendency and settled the tempo, before netting three times in the second half to round out a composed and professional display.

The loss continues a mixed start for Fury from three opening away games. The club will play its first competitive game in Townsville following the Easter break.

Brisbane Strikers FC - 2 (Matt THURTELL 10’, Chay HEWS 87’)
Olympic FC - 7 (Nick ROBINSON (OG) 3’, Jack PETRIE 17’, Tim SMITS 33’ 40’ 70’, Danny BYRNE 76’, Alex PANIC 89’)
Saturday, 23rd March 2013 – Perry Park, 7:00pm
Crowd: approx. 600 (double header combined)

The top of the table clash promised goals and dutifully delivered eight of the best (plus an own goal) in yet another high-scoring Brisbane derby that served as the feature match in the Perry Park doube-header.

Olympic snared the early lead when Striker’s captain Robinson quizzically steered the ball past his own goalkeeper, before Thurtell restored parity for the hosts shortly after.

Strikers attempted to control the game, and enjoyed some quality possession, but Olympic proved deadly on the counter-attack to take an impressive 4-1 lead into the break – dynamic marksman Smits heavily involved in the goals.

The home side appeared rejuvenated in the second half, and even reverted to a back three as they sought to turn the tide, but Olympic wouldn’t be denied as Smits netted once again to secure his hat-trick.

A final surge proved too little too late for Strikers, Hew’s late goal offering no consolation after it was immediately cancelled out by Olympic substitute Panic prior to full time.

FNQ FC Heat - 0
Brisbane City FC - 7 (Matt BIGGINS 18’, Alistair PASE 20’, Antonio MURRAY 28’ 61’, Kyle BLACKADDER 34’, Ken DOUGALL 43’, Thomas SHANNON 86’)
Saturday, 23rd March 2013 – Barlow Park, 7:00pm
Crowd: approx. 600

Brisbane City notched up their first three points of the NPL season, and dramatically altered their goal differential, courtesy of a thumping away win on a rainy evening in Cairns.

Eager to make amends for a sluggish start to the season, City and Heat arm-wrestled early before City opened accounts with two quick goals; by half-tie the visitors had sealed the results courtesy of a five goal cushion.

Heat mounted a fightback of sorts in the second half before one-time Chelsea youth prospect Murray added a sixth for City on the hour. American import Shannon then finalised the result in the final five minutes for the visitors.

In contrast to City, Heat’s for-and-against takes a marked plunge into the negative on the back of the heavy defeat – their second consecutive loss heading in to the Easter break.

Redlands United FC - 11 (Graham FYFE 19’ 58’, Jamie SAUL 33’, Ruben WAY 39’ 55’ 56’ 67’ 75’, Jheison MACAUCE 63’, Kirk O’BRIEN 82’, Todd SNOWDON 90’)
CQFC Energy - 2 (Chris GEDDES 35’ 45’)
Sunday, 24th March 2013 – Cleveland Showgrounds, 3:00PM
Crowd: approx. 400

Central Queensland’s early season defensive woes continued resulting in a long flight home for an Energy side left to ponder three consecutive losses to open their NPL campaign.

The opening half was well contested, with Redlands fortunate to take a three goal advantage in to the break, before a tactical change, and the introduction of Macauce, tipped the balance heavily in the host’s favour.

Way’s five goal haul did the baulk of the damage for Redlands, although in all six players contributed to the record haul; the club now finding itself with a goal differential second only to competition leaders Olympic FC.

Geddes’ brace provided the dimmest of bright spots for the visitors on an otherwise horror afternoon as CQFC remain the only club without a competition point at the Easter break.

Western Pride FC - 0
Sunshine Coast FC Fire - 4 (Kane FREW 4’ 12’, Sam KNIGHT 55’, Ryan SMITH 59’)
Sunday, 24th March 2013 – North Ipswich Reserve, 4:00PM
Crowd: approx. 400

Match officials rarely receive kudos from both sides in equal measure, but all at North Ipswich Reserve agreed post-match that the whistle-blowers made the correct decision to abandon the final fixture of the round in the face of heavy rain and lightning.

The players, coaches and officials fled the field of play on 80 minutes with Fire well in control against a ten-man Pride outfit; and while the match did not resume, the result will stand in accordance with competition regulations.

There was no calm before the storm for Western Pride though, with Fire taking a two goal lead inside the opening quarter hour courtesy of Frew’s brace.

The host’s cause was further complicated when Devon Munn received a red card for a second bookable offence midway through the half.

Pride player/coach Kasey Wehrman entered at halftime, leading by example at the back with some telling interventions; however Fire regained the ascendency to score twice more before the early end to the contest.


Words/Graphic: Michael Flynn (Football Queensland)


Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.