In April 2015 WPNSW will be commencing our own Junior Development Program. The Academy will be positioned in between club level and the NSWIS Talent Squad (Junior NSWIS) and will be an official platform in the elite development pathway. The Academy’s aim is to provide a holistic training environment to identified athletes, and to prepare them for representative water polo. The Academy will be a link in the pathway for players to gain National Age Team selection and has been developed in partnership with the New South Wales Institute of Sport and Water Polo Australia.
The Academy will train and educate athletes in the following areas:
- Technique, endurance and strength in passing, leg work, shooting and game physicality
- Water Polo specific swimming
- Dry land, functional movement, flexibility, core strength and muscle development
- Injury Prevention
- Position specific and team tactic development
- Elite athlete testing
- Sports science components
The Academy is an invitation only program.
Eligible players will be in but not subject to:
- WPNSW State Representative teams
- On the periphery of representative water polo
- Identified as a potential representative athlete.
The Academy program will be overseen by both NSWIS coaches and WPNSW.
The core coaches for this program will be assistant NSWIS and nationally identified coaches. However, developing coaching opportunities will arise in the Academy and opportunities for new coaches to interject themselves into the elite coaching front will occur.
In the 2nd half of January we will initiate the 1st stage of the WPNSW Academy. The Pilot Program (PP) will run January 19th – March 27th with the official Academy commencing early April. The PP will not include the testing, sports science, uniform components of the Academy, but will include 2 pool sessions and 1 land per week with nationally identified coaches. The squad size will be smaller than that of the official Academy and will still remain as invitation only.
More information to come :)