New Fina Rules
Starting 30th November 2014
These rules will be played at both the NSW State Championships and all Junior National Aged Championships (i.e. U12, U14, U16, U18 & U20s)
The black and white changes to these rules for all grades are:
Please note that only the Junior Grades have been asked to play the new rules in Metro Comp
- Length of field of play will be 25 metres for Men and Women
- Reduction in number of players from a team of thirteen to eleven, with the corresponding reduction of players in water from seven to six, one of whom shall be the goalkeeper
- Use of Women's Water Polo Ball for Men and Women
The impact that this will have on the U14s is as follows :
- The press rule has been eliminated i.e U14s do not now need to press.
- Teams may nominate 13 players (write them on the scorecard) however only 12 are eligible to compete in any game.
From this, the other U14 rules remain (as below):
- A minimum of 11 players and a maximum of 12 players per team for each game. GK + 5 field players – 12th player (2nd GK)
- Every player must play a quarter of the game within the first half, except in the instances of injury and players fouled out.
- On exclusion no timeframe is applied, the player must swim to the re-entry box, rise to surface within the box then re-enter.
- No shot on goal from a free throw.
- After receiving a foul, the centre forward and the centre back must swim out allowing for a new centre forward