2012 Super League - Men's Open Results

Super League Men's Open PREMIERS!!!

The Woden Eagles have claimed the ACT Men’s Super League title, defeating last year’s winners the Northern Phoenix by one touchdown.

The Eagles led for the majority of the game and after leading by one touchdown at half-time were able to hold on to claim the title 8-7.

The Eagles were on the scoreboard early, when Matt Curran set up Jarred Teka in the fourth minute to take the early lead.

The Phoenix were quick to hit back, when a James McAuliffe long ball saw his side score on the wing.

The Eagles were next to score at the midway mark of the half when Tommy Katene dummied and dived over and when Teka made a break and scored his second touchdown of the half, the Eagles had a 3-1 lead.

The Phoenix hit back with just over five minutes left in the half, when a Ben Hughes acting half run saw Chris Tarlinton score.

The Eagles’ Paul Reid extended his side’s lead to two touchdowns when he scored but when the Phoenix scored the next two touchdowns, including a length of the field intercept to Glenn Hayes, it looked as if it would the sides would head to the half-time break locked up at 4-all.

But the Eagles weren’t done with yet, with a Matt Cooke long ball hitting the winger to score in the final seconds of the half to take a 5-4 lead into the break.

The Eagles further extended their lead in the opening set of the second half when Adam Leeson hit a great hole to give his side a handy 6-4 lead.

The Phoenix’s Moses Mapiou latched onto a great McAuliffe long ball two minutes later to bridge the gap to one touchdown, 6-5.

It took 10 minutes for the next touchdown to be scored, with the Eagles’ Nathan Curran acrobatically diving over to score off the back of some great phase play.

The Phoenix hit back in the next set with Hughes doing it all himself to score to bring the score back to 7-6 with just over five minutes remaining.

Daniel Scroope extended his side’s lead to two touchdowns with three minutes remaining before the Phoenix scored with less than a minute left on the clock, but it was too little too late for the Phoenix, with the Eagles taking the win 7-6.



Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.

Major Sponsor

ACT Touch Football News

Photo Gallery

Australian Touch Football News