Central Australia Cup Wraps Up
Open age basketballers from across Central Australia converged on the Alice Springs Basketball Stadium on December 12 and 13 for the inaugural Central Australia Cup. Eight mens and womens teams, some travelling hundreds of kilometres, came from as far as Yuendumu in the north to the MacDonnell region in the south.
With pride on the line, the teams brought an exciting style of play, with many having qualified through competitions in their region. In the end it was the LA Knights from Santa Teresa and MacDonnel Youth Women who took the honours in the mens and womens divisions repectively, a clean sweep for the MacDonnell region.
The 2015 Central Australia Cup was an initiative of Basketball NT in partnership with the NT Government and Alice Springs Basketball Association. In addition to providing a higher level of competition for players the event also assisted with the further development of coaches and referees from the regions by building on recent work by Basketball NT personnel in delivering Level 0 coaching courses and introductory referee development in targeted remote areas.
Participating teams in the inaugural Central Australia Cup were as follows:
- Elliott Hawks (Barkly region)
- Tennant Tigers/Anyingiyi Aboriginal Corporation (Barkly region)
- LA Knights/Santa Teresa (MacDonnell region)
- MacDonnell Youth Men (MacDonnell region)
- Desert Basketballers men (Alice Springs)
- Yuendumu Women (Central Desert region)
- MacDonnell Youth Women (MacDonnell region)
- Desert Basketballers women (Alice Springs)