Job position: National coach
Title: Head Coach
Positions: Two positions, the national women’s team – Northern Lights and the national men’s team – Northwind
Duration: Term ending following the International Cup 2020
Australian Football League Canada (AFLC) is the national sport organization committed to the domestic development and international success of Australian Football for Canada.
The successful applicants will perform the roles of Head Coach of the Northern Lights and Northwind teams (two distinct positions).The roles will be viewed as an integral and significant element of the high performance player preparation pathway process. These roles are both volunteer roles, however a budget will be mutually agreed upon between the sucessful applicants and AFL Canada Treasurer for each year.
ROLE OF HEAD COACH
The Head Coach will be responsibie for creating a successful team environment, based on elite coaching skills and processes.
The appointed person will work alongside the Team Manager and be responsible for the on field performances of the Team. They will report to the Board via the Manager, Football Development.
The Head Coach will work with local, provincial and national assistant coaches to develop their capabilities and ensure player development objectives are obtained at all levels.
Core Responsibilities and Priorities
The Head Coach will be responsible for performing the following roles and/or delivering the following outcomes.
- Coaching, Team Preparation & Performances
- Developing athletes for international competition
- Developing local, provincial and assistant coaches
- Coaching, Team Preparation & Performance
- Plan, develop and initiate the technical and tactical development
- Evaluate and record the effectiveness of individual, unit and team performances (forwards, backs and mids)
- Work cooperatively with the team’s management staff and integrated support team
- Work cooperatively with the Team Manager and Office staff
- Athlete Development
- Review and connect with players from past international Canadian squads and develop player profiles and national team squad.
- Liase with all local and provincial coaches to identify talented players for the national team squad and regional training
- Developing training targets for individual players and regional training. E.g. beep test requirements, general fitness requirements/guidelines, circulate recommended fitness schedule/skills sessions and training drills
- Develop the annual training plan
- Ensure that plans include strategic and tactical considerations, sport science, Integrated Sport Therapy, performance objectives, fitness testing and objectives
- Ensure that training plans align with appropriate LTAD stage for the athlete
- Liaise with the Team Manager, office staff and Board of Directors on all policy and procedural expectations
- Ensure players receive adequate feedback from training and playing for review
- Coach Development
- Work with local, provincial and assistant coaches to ensure an understanding of the national team training program and requirements
- Work with local, provincial and assistant coaches to ensure their coaching development throughout the year and provide guidance, support and feedback
- Provide input on the National Team digital player monitoring platform and encourage use at the provincial level for player development.
- Work with Team Manager to provide match by match reports, end of year and end of event reports
- Provide reports on the monitoring of progress including the setting of benchmarks, adherence to training plans and achievement of benchmarks
LEVEL OF AUTHORITY
Reports to: Senior AFL Canada staff member through to Board of Directors
Number of Direct Report: TBD (Coach in conjunction with the BOD will need to recruit and retain assistant coaches)
Works closely with internal groups including: Athletes, Assistant Coaches, Manager, Board of Directors, staff, provincial and local coaches
B) Decision Making Authority
The Head Coach has sufficient authority to take measures in accordance with the AFL Canada Seleection Policy that are necessary in relation to team selection, preparation planning and creating a team environment.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS
Personal Attributes & Key Competencies
The ideal candidate for the role of Head Coach will be a person who has:
- AFL Level 1 Coaching Certificate (Level 2 preferred) In the absence of this standard all efforts should be made to acquire these credentials.
- High Performance analysis skills
- Previous successful coaching results, experience in managing assistant coaches, team medical staff and performance analysis personnel and strategic skills
- Evidence of understanding best practice and history of performing best practice as it applies to Australian Football coaching
- A demonstrated passion for Canada’s National Australian Football program
- An ability to “bring into the fold” and educate players whom may be relatively new to the game of Australian Football
- An ability to “bring into the fold” and educate coaches whom may be relatively new to coaching the game of Australian Football at the local, provincial and national levels.
- Commitment to nurturing relationships with club coaches across the country and other relevant stakeholders
- A background that displays people management and people leadership skills and attributes
- A record of working as a team member, as well as a history of performing in situations that require self-leadership and initiative
- Demonstrated evidence of being able to influence others including an ability to build good relationships with others that may not be receptive to change
- High level communications skills both verbal and written
Succesful Candidate Requirements
- Submit a current criminal record check and vulnerable persons record check
- Must submit current coaching certifications
- Submit a signed code of conduct
In order to apply for the position of Head Coach, please submit a coaching resume and cover letter outlining your coaching experience and certifications, including which team you are applying for.
Only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.