About the Venues - Amini Park and Colts
Colts Cricket Ground
The Colts cricket ground was established in 1954 as a venue for Australians to play cricket on.
Boroko was the main residential area for all expatriates and the field was centrally located.
A clubhouse was built in the early 1960’s for players to retire to after matches and for families to sit in and watch.
The ground was used by the West Indies team lead by Clive Lloyd in 1975 to conduct coaching clinics.
It had three practice nets and many Papua New Guinea and visiting overseas teams have used it over the years.
The Colts Cricket Club folded in 2001 but the name is still carried on the ground.
The concrete pitch has been replaced four times, the last in 1991 when the SP Games were held in Port Moresby.
The ground since 1980’s is also used by the Moresby Rules Football Club, Magani Rugby League Club and Bears Softball Club.
It is today, one of the two main cricket venues in Port Moresby.
Amini Park is the headquarters of the Papua New Guinea Cricket.
The ground is adjacent to the Colts Cricket Ground in the heart of Boroko and in 1956, the Moresby Australian Rules Football Club was formed and this ground was set up in the same year for Rules games.
In the early 1970’s, the Moresby Rules FC merged with the Colts Cricket Club and moved across to the Colts Cricket ground.
The ground was named Amini Park in 1983 after Herea Amini, who was one of the first Papua New Guineans to play and administer the sport of Rules Football.
Amini Park was upgraded in 1991 for the SP Games in Port Moresby where PNG won the gold against Fiji.
Amini Park is the home of PNG Cricket and is one of two major cricket venues in Port Moresby.