President’s Message / Venue Update
Dear Valued Members,
Having attended the Marion Council general meeting last night, I have the pleasure in announcing that Council passed a motion, unanimously, to move forward with the following recommendations.
1. Endorse the Mitchell Park and Community Club Site as the preferred location for the development of a multi-purpose indoor sports facilities and the integrated development of facilities for existing sports clubs and dog club and the development of a community centre to replace the Mitchell Park Community Centre.
2. Endorse the Mitchell Park Sports and Community Club Architectural brief (Appendix 2) for the development of a costed concept plan and authorise the calling of a select tender to engage architectural, civil engineering, services engineering, landscape architecture, geo-technical, contamination assessment and cost management services.
3. Endorse the preparation of a first stage concept plan for Council’s consideration and subsequent establishment of a project financial target.
4. Approve funding of unto $200,000 from the Asset Sustainability reserve- Community Facilities Partnership Program for the engagement of specialist consultants required to develop a costed concept plan.
5. Note that the Chief Executive Officer will review resorting required to develop the concept plan and the lodgement of the NSRF application and will allocate resources, inclusive of new resources, as required.
This is an exciting time for the club. With a Federal election due in 2016 this step was paramount in providing political parties with the appropriate costed information. SABC and Basketball SA will continue to strive towards providing input, as part of the consultation that will continue in the ensuing weeks.
For further information you can read from page 83 of the council papers at https://www.marion.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/GC081215%20-%20Agenda2.pdf
I also have pleasure in announcing, effective 4th of January, 2016, the appointment of Claire Johnson, to the position of Basketball Operations Manager. Claire comes to the organisation having played at South Adelaide in the ABL competition. Claire brings a wealth of management experience, with a strategic and operational focus. Claire will support the executive committee and the membership in continuing to grow the club, improve the club operations and to continue to improve programs within the club. Integral to her role will be the management of all basketball related operations and management of the strategies moving forward to provide our membership with a variety of improvements to the clubs offerings. I would like to have the club welcome Claire on board, as we look forward to this new and evolving full time position.
With the new committee now set for the 2015/16 year, I would like to thank on behalf of the membership the contributions of the outgoing committee members Daniel Hughes, Terry Jones and Jo Fisher. Their efforts and commitment are appreciated. Their contributions to their portfolios have SABC in the position we are today.
Lastly, but certainly not least, I would like to wish everyone a safe a prosperous Xmas and New Year, as we head into our well deserved break, with family and friends.