HEAT & FLAMES 2018 DRAW REVEALED
2018 QBL DRAW RELEASED
The Queensland Basketball League (QBL) 2018 schedule released by Basketball QLD is a pleasing one for the Townsville Heat & Flames. With 9 home games scheduled for 2018, the Townsville teams will see action in four Saturday and five Friday night fixtures a fantastic outcome for sponsors, members and supporters of the Heat & Flames.
The schedule which continues in the 15-round format from previous years will see the Heat & Flames kick off their campaign on Friday 4th of May against Mackay at The Furnace. The Heat will square off against the Meteors in a grand final rematch from 2017 while the Flames will face off against 2017 runner up Mackay Meteorettes.
TBI General Manager Greg Vanderjagt said the draw was favourable for the Heat & Flames with only two trips to Brisbane and just two Friday night road games after both Townsville teams faced four Friday night road games in 2017.
“We open our season with a bye in round 1 before 3 straight home games. It’s exciting that our fans get to make our players feel at home before they get into a gruelling schedule from rounds 5 through 8”.
“We are really happy with the 2018 draw, both from an athlete management point of view and also for our fans. The toughest stretch of the our season is between rounds 5 & 8 when our teams play 6 of 7 games on the road including a triple header. But we get a home game in round 7 to break up the travel”.
“The decision from the league to schedule all Friday & Saturday night home games for us is a huge win for our sponsors and fans who support the Heat & Flames. We’ve already got the best game night in the QBL and our supporters can expect an even more entertaining night out in 2018”.
Season tickets for the Heat & Flames will go on sale from Monday 19th February, with existing members being able to retain their seats up until Friday 23rd March when all remaining tickets will go on sale.
Key highlights of the schedule include:
- First 2018 regular season game will see the Townsville Heat raise their third championship banner before facing arch rivals Mackay in a grand final rematch.
- Saturday 12th May, round 3 will see north conference rivals Rockhampton visit The Furnace. Both Rockhampton teams have re-loaded their rosters and will be amongst the best in the league in 2018.
- Round 6 – Brisbane triple header. Our teams play 3 games in the space of 72 hours. This road trip could set up our season to come home with a wet sail.
- Round 7 – The Brisbane Spartans visit north Queensland for the first time since re-entering the QBL. The Flames will be looking to take down the defending champs for the first time.
- Saturday 30th June – Cairns visit town. Our bitter arch rivals come to The Furnace on the first Saturday of school holidays for a blockbuster affair!
- Friday 3rd August – final home game for 2018 & the first time the Sunshine Coast Phoenix visit Townsville. The former Maroochydore Clippers franchise gets a taste of The Furnace for the first time.
Full Townsville Heat & Flames 2018 QBL Schedule
Round 1 – BYE
Round 2 – Friday 4th May v Mackay
Round 3 – Saturday 12th May v Rockhampton
Round 4 – Friday 18th May v North Gold Coast Seahawks
Round 5 – Friday 25th May @ Cairns
Round 6 – Friday 1st June @ Toowoomba
Saturday 2nd June @ South West Metro
Sunday 3rd June @ Gold Coast
Round 7 – Saturday 9th June v Brisbane Spartans
Round 8 – Saturday 16th June @ Logan
Sunday 17th June @ Ipswich
Round 9 - Friday 22nd June v Gladstone
Round 10 – Saturday 30th June v Cairns
Round 11 – Saturday 7th July @ Mackay
Round 12 – Saturday 14th July v Sunshine Coast Rip
Round 13 – Saturday 21st July @ Gladstone
Sunday 22nd July @ Rockhampton
Round 14 – Friday 27th July v Brisbane Capitals
Round 15 – Friday 3rd August v Sunshine Coast Phoenix