Presidents Welcome to the 2016/17 Season
Welcome to Summer Season 2016/2017
While the weather may not feel like it is summer we are excited to welcome you all to Summer Season with Woodville District Basketball Club.
We are pleased to see so many players returning, many who have been with Woodville since they started playing. We also welcome back coaches who have again taken on the mammoth role of coaching our junior teams. We thank you for your continued commitment.
We are also excited to see many new coaches and players join us. You may be coming to Woodville from another club or just starting out on your basketball journey. We hope you find a home with us at Woodville and enjoy many years with us.
Recently the Club has implemented several key initiatives to develop both our Players, Coaches and Culture:
· Warrior Legend Cam Wilson and Chris Clark are sharing the Junior Coaching Development roles, a huge thank you for the tireless work you have both put in over the last 2 months. Recruiting a couple of the best SA junior coaches in Tim Berry and Jason Joynes along with several coaches, I look forward to highlighting over the coming newsletters. To contact Cam or Chris email firstname.lastname@example.org
· We acquired the services of professional coach Liam Flynn to help put together our own Warriors Coaching Curriculum and Development Program. Liam Flynn has coached professionally for many years over his 25 year career, recently returning from coaching with the Indiana Pacers during their NBA pre-season. On Sunday 9th October Liam held a very successful and enormously informative Coaching Workshop and I thank all our coaches (who are all volunteers) for sacrificing their time to attend the Workshop. We have also started the Warriors Coaching Facebook page which Liam is a member. Liam will be attending games and trainings to provide feedback and refine methods so players are constantly learning and developing.
· A huge thank you to Board Member Deidre Fox and Premier League player Brad Squires who coach the Warriors Aussie Hoops program, on Wednesday afternoons at SMC. The Warriors will also run the Aussie Hoops program on Saturdays at 11.50am @ St Clair. If you know of any kids who would like to give basketball a try, our Aussie Hoops program is the perfect way to start playing this great game.
· A big thank you to Trudy Barker, Deidre Fox, Ros Jones and Natasha Abbott for putting together the Information Booklet so new parents understand all there is to know about playing for the Warriors. It can be viewed on our website www.woodville.basketball.net.au under the Juniors Tab
· Kudos to Womens Assistant coach Andrew ‘Killa’ Kielczynski and Womens Premier League player Jess Von Einem for helping with our social networking, Facebook and website updates. If you have any good news stories send direct to Killa: email@example.com
· Fundraising builds culture and we now have a Fundraising Committee, Michelle Mackman and Kylie Gilbert are running our Fundraising. During the school holidays we held the first successful event, a movie night which raised $500. There are several opportunities to raise money to pay for fees and uniforms through Tuesday/Friday night BBQs (minimum $100 for 3 hours work!) and the Church & Palmer wine drives ($30 per doz sold!). Kylie and Michelle are looking for help with fundraising, especially as the next event will be for the adults! It’s a great way to work off your volunteer levy.
· The Summer Season fees will be sent over the next few days. Our governing body, Basketball of South Australia (BSA), have increased their affiliation fees. Unfortunately we have to pass this increase on. The invoice covers BSA & BA Levies, BSA Team Nomination, Court Hire
(2 sessions per week), equipment, First Aid and Admin.
Proudly we are still the most affordable district club, not only in the western suburbs but in the metro district competition. We simply cannot operate without the fees being paid, failing to have at least a payment plan in place by December the 1st the player will be unavailable to play.
At times I am questioned by members ‘what is the club doing’ or ‘why doesn’t the club…’it's worth noting our Members are the Club. The Warriors are a not for profit Club, run by volunteers, its members. Our coaches are volunteers, selflessly giving their valuable time to help develop your kids.
Over the next few weeks we will be organising the 2016/17 Junior Committee and Team Managers. If you’re interested please contact Ros Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or Deidre Fox at email@example.com
2017/18 will be the biggest in our Clubs history.St Clair will be redeveloped and a 5 court stadium will be built, along with a show court and social club facilities. Our home will have the best basketball courts in South Australia and it’s up to each and every member to create the best environment for both our Club and Community. We can only achieve this if we work together.
To all our volunteers, a huge thank you. Nothing can be achieved without your sacrifices. I look forward to thanking you all personally at the Presidents Christmas Drinks.
I look forward to the season ahead.