Victoria Thunderbolts Round 2 Reviews

U20's Hastings Deering Colts Round 2 Review by Chris Avnell 


Saturday afternoon saw Victoria Thunderbolts host Tweed Heads Seagulls at Goschs Paddock in Round 2 of the Hastings Deering Colts competition.

After an outstanding performance in Round 1 defeating Western Mustangs 52-10 at Casey Fields, Victoria looked to continue the superb start to the season. Tweed Heads Seagulls started their season against Norths Devils in a 20-10 loss at Bishop Park.

In the early stages of the match, both teams were not giving the other an inch. It took 25 minutes for the deadlock to be broken when Thunderbolt Tino Fa'asuamaleaui busted through the defence to score on the left edge.

Just four minutes later, Jordin Leiu provided a great line break before linking up with Trent Toelau to put Iliesa Ratuva in the corner to extend Victoria’s lead.

The Victorian’s kept charging with momentum on their sides, with the Tweed Heads try-line defence doing their best to keep the Thunderbolts out. Unfortunately for the visitors they couldn’t hold out, with Trent Toelau diving over to score Victoria’s third try in eight minutes.

With the halftime siren on the horizon, Derek Maota stormed through to add to the Victorian lead, with the Thunderbolts scoring twenty unanswered points in the ten minutes prior to halftime.

It didn’t take long for the Victorian’s to get the ball rolling in the second half with Trent Toelau cutting through the defensive line to score the first points of the half.

Tino Fa’asuamaleaui was putting in great effort, and that effort was rewarded when he found himself scoring his second try of the match in the 42nd minute, crossing from close range.

Tweed Heads begun to rally, determined to get on the board and put up a fight on the scoreboard. A solid attacking set saw Benjamin Thomas crack the Victorian defence and put the first points on for the Seagulls.

The Seagulls started to show the way they really can play, showing some great skill in a play down the left side to allow Gerard Ah-Nau to score the second for the visitors. Minutes later, Benjamin Thomas scored his second try to close the gap on the scoreboard.

With the match winding up, just minutes before the fulltime siren a superb play between Cooper Johns and Kelma Tuilagi was finished off by Victoria’s Christopher Schwalger to finish the match off for the Thunderbolts.

Victoria came away with a solid 36-16 victory, with a great effort to finish the first half match with a small slump towards the end allowing Tweed Heads to score three late tries. A quality match showing off some great skill and talents from players on both sides allowed for an entertaining affair.

Victoria will now travel to Suzuki Stadium in Brisbane to take on Easts Tigers on Saturday whereas Tweed Heads will host Burleigh Bears at Piggabeen Sports Complex.

Tries: Tino Fa’asuamaleaui 2, Trent Toelau 2, Iliesa Ratuva, Derek Maota, Christopher Schwalger
Goals: Cooper Johns 4

Tries: Benjamin Thomas 2, Gerard Ah-Nau
Goals: Bayley Gill, Bostyn Hakaraia


U18's Mal Meninga Cup Round 2 Review by Chris Avnell 

Goschs Paddock hosted Victoria Thunderbolts and Tweed Heads Seagulls on Saturday in Round 2 of the 2018 Mal Meninga Cup season.

On what was a blustery day throwing some challenging conditions for both sides, it was Tweed Heads who got out of the blocks firing when Thomas Deardon carved his way through the Victorian defence to set up an attack on the line, where a few tackles later it was Deardon who finished off the play himself scoring for Tweed Heads.

The Seagulls’ attack was relentless, crossing just three minutes later when Noah Gafa proved himself too strong for the defence to extend the lead. Cole Geyer found himself crashing through some soft defence soon after to score the Seagull’s third.

A lateral run from Seagull Blake Campbell seemed to offer little danger to the defence, but a rapid shift allowed the second rower to cut through the defensive line and score.

Just minutes before half-time, a deft kick over the defensive line saw Tweed Heads five-eighth Toby Sexton pounce to give the visitors a 30-0 lead at the halftime break.

It was the Victorians who came out strong in the second half, with a try in the early minutes of the half giving a glimmer of hope for a comeback when Haele Finau hit a gap to score underneath the posts.

Both sides matched each other in the second half, with both better attack and defence from the Victorians. Unfortunately for the home side, Tweed Heads managed to crack that defence when Codey McLaughlin crossed beneath the posts.

A flash of brilliance from the Victorians saw them back onto the scoreboard for the second time, with a great link play between Derek Iva and Mali Lepou sees Lepou finish off to score the try.

The last scoring play of the match was again from Tweed Heads. A short grubber kick through the defence found Blake Campbell by himself to finish off the match in style. Yet another conversion from Toby Sexton finished off a great show of kicking in the windy conditions. Sexton kicked 7/7 in the match.

An impressive performance from a quick and well-drilled Tweed Heads side was completed in a 42-10 victory.


Tries: Blake Campbell 2, Thomas Dearden, Noah Gafa, Cole Geyer, Toby Sexton, Codey McLaughlin
Goals: Toby Sexton 7

Tries: Haele Finau, Mali Lepou
Goals: Tangatta Teroi


Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.