At the recent Badminton Oceania Executive Board meeting the establishment of an Athletes Commission was approved.
The Athletes’ Commission is a consultative body which aims to represent the needs and views of athletes to the Badminton Oceania Executive Board and Committees to both increase their participation and improve performance at all levels.
The Chair of the Athletes’ Commission has the responsibility to advise Committees, the Secretary General and the Executive Board on matters relevant to athletes.
The objectives of the Badminton Oceania Athletes’ Commission are:
- To actively support the work of Badminton Oceania in all areas
- To act as the official link between the players and Badminton Oceania – the “player voice”
- To proactively consider issues relating to players and give advice to Badminton Oceania on player related matters
- To represent the rights and interests of the players to the Badminton Oceania to ensure the athlete opinion is heard at the highest level of governance of Badminton in the region
- To maintain contact and good relations with the BWF Athletes’ Commission.
- To advocate for the player voice within Member Countries
The Athletes Commission shall have the following specific focus areas:
- To seek player opinions on issues of importance in badminton within the region that aims to reach as wide a player demographic as possible
- To work constructively with Badminton Oceania to provide player feedback on areas of player interest
- To promote clean sport and fair play by all players.
- The Athlete’s Commission to compromise of a maximum of one representative from each Member Association
- Badminton Oceania to call for nominations from Member Countries in November each even numbered year – ie. 2018, 2020 etc.
- Terms are for two years
- Nominated players must be over 18 years old when nominated
- Nominated players must an active player in their home country and have played in the Oceania Championships in the year they are nominated – ie. if nominated in 2018 they must have played Oceania Championships 2018
- Nominated players must be in good standing with their National Association
- The BOC Secretary General to receive all nominations and pass to the Executive Board to ratify the nominations
- The Badminton Oceania Secretary General to invite one of the selected candidates to the position of Chair of the Commission; the Executive Board to ratify this position
- The Commission to meet annually at the Oceania Championships and in August the same year by phone or skype and at any other time if required. All other communications shall be via email
- There is no travel or accommodation subsidy provided to attend the meeting
Last Modified on 07/12/2018 11:56