Mandurah earn valuable point

Report by Tristan Wheeler


Mandurah City and Subiaco settled for a point apiece in a 1-1 draw at Securitas Protect Stadium on Saturday afternoon in round 22 of the PS4 NPLWA.

Joseph O’Brien opened the scoring for the home side, but an own goal on 75 minutes ensured that both teams would finish as they started.

Results elsewhere, though, mean it could prove to be a valuable point in Mandurah’s quest to avoid relegation, according to coach Doug Hesketh.

“The point is a point more than we had before the game,” he said.

“I’m really pleased with the performance and thought that we dictated the play.”

Subiaco assistant coach Mike Ford acknowledged the tough conditions that both sides had to operate in.

“It was never going to be the prettiest football with the pitch, the conditions and the wind,” he said.

“Mandurah had to battle to win it, and it was always going to be a difficult game for both teams.”

Those conditions resulted in both teams having sparse chances throughout the first half.

Mitchell Firth headed over the bar in the 5th minute after he managed to get his head to a Jeffrey Bright cross.

Mandurah enjoyed much of the attacking impetus throughout the first half with O’Brien threatening on a few occasions.

His best chance came in the 38th minute, when his deflected shot was cleared off the line by a Subiaco defender. 

Jordan Rhodes also threatened and forced Ryan Montgomery into a good save with a volleyed effort on 40 minutes. 

Subiaco’s best chance of the half came when Steve Purton’s scorching volley was tipped away brilliantly by Cyril Sharrock. 

It took 11 minutes for Mandurah to open the scoring in the second half. 

After confusion in the box, Rhodes shot was cleared only as far as O’Brien, who volleyed home to open the scoring. 

Mandurah captain Andrew Brown received a second yellow card after a mistimed slide tackle reduced the hosts to 10 men on 73 minutes. 

Subiaco equalled soon after when a deflected free kick left Cyril Sharrock stranded with the teams finishing all square.


Mandurah City 1 (O’Brien 56 min)

Subiaco 1 (OG 75)

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Securitas Protect Stadium

Kick-off: 3:00pm

Referee:  Adam Fielding

Assistant referees: Martin Hicks, Callum Haddow


Mandurah City: 1. Cyril SHARROCK, 2. Mitchell FIRTH, 3. Jeffrey BRIGHT, 4. Matthew STARES, 5.Lance LOUVIE  6. Shane BOYLE (14. Kevin CASTLE 90), 7. Jack EADES, 8. Andrew BROWN, 9. Joseph O’BRIEN (13. Slade RULE 88) ,  10. Jordan RHODES (17. Mitchell MORRIN 69), 11. Ryan FRANCIS

Substitutes not used: 12. Daniel DAVIES, 21. Kieran SHALL

Yellow cards:  Brown 45, Rhodes 47, Boyle 52, Brown 73

Red Cards: Brown 73


Subiaco:  1. Ryan MONTGOMERY,  4. Alexander RANDELL (8.Mike LAWSON), 6. Steve PURTON, 7. Nathan DIAZ (12. Nathan SMITH), 9. Ian MCMURRAY, 13. Jordan CANDLISH, 14. Ross JARMAN, 16. Asher NELSON (11. Carlin FEELY 70), 17. Alex CASTIELLO, 18. David PERICH, 19. Stefan HILL

Substitutes Not Used: 10. Adrian CACERES, 21. Hamish ST.GEORGE

Yellow Cards:  Randell 16, McMurray 16

Red Cards: nil


Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.



Major Sponsors

Notice Board