Belconnen United bounce back from midweek cup exit

By Matt Nicoletti

Tuggeranong United 1 (Amilio Kishta 73’) def. by Belconnen United 4 (Phil Borgeaud 15’, Ugrinic 22’, 43’, Sam Whithear 85’)

Belconnen United bounced back from their penalty shootout loss in the FFA Cup to record a convincing 4-1 win over Tuggeranong United at the AIS on Sunday. 

A brace to Jason Ugrinic was complemented by goals to Phil Borgeaud and Sam Whithear as Amilio Kishta scored for the home side. 

After an even start Borgeaud opened the scoring in the 14th minute to make it 1-0 to Belconnen as he rose highest at the back post to meet Cameron Reinhardt’s cross with a towering header back across the keeper. 

Ugrinic extended the lead just seven minutes later as he arrived unmarked at the back post to meet Whithear’s cross after a break away down the left wing. 

Tuggeranong pressed hard to get back into the game and almost went ahead in the 33rd minute. A deflected shot sent Finn Jurak the wrong way in goals but he was able to get himself back across to make a difficult save as a goal beckoned for Tuggeranong.

Ugrinic grabbed his brace just two minutes before the half-time break with a superb solo effort. After receiving the ball on the right from a switch, the forward drove into the box before cutting inside his defender and burying his strike inside the far post to extend the lead to 3-0.

The half-time score was arguably an unfair reflection of the first half for Tuggeranong who had played well but struggled to create chances, while their opponent’s efficiency in front of goal had proven the difference.

The second half opened evenly as Tuggeranong really pushed to grab a goal back, and they finally got on the board after 71 minutes.

Kishta stood over a Tuggeranong free-kick, and the ball took a wicked deflection as he looked to curl it into the far corner. The deflection wrong-footed Jurak and sailed into the net to give the home side a fighting chance with just under 20 minutes to go.

However, Sean Murphy’s side were unable to make their possession count as the game wore on, and were punished in the 85th minute as Whithear converted from close range as he was given too much time on the ball inside the penalty area.

That proved to be the sealer as the game petered out, and Tuggeranong will look for a stronger performance next weekend when they take on Woden-Weston at Woden Park. Belconnen meanwhile will look to make it three in a row in the league as they welcome their cup vanquishers Monaro to McKellar Park.


Comment Guidelines: The SportsTG Network is made up of players, families and passionate sports followers like you who have a strong opinion about sport. That's great - we want you to have your say and share your thoughts with the world. However, we have a few rules that you must follow to keep it fun for all. Please don't be rude, abusive, swear or vilify others. Apart from some pretty serious sport sanctions, we also can ban you and report you if things get out of hand. So play fair and have fun, and thanks for your contribution.