WNPL: Get to Know Your WNPL, West Adelaide & Sturt Marion
The PlayStation 4 Women’s National Premier League South Australia commences on Friday night with 2 double-header matches playing out at both Adelaide Shores Football Centre and Elite Systems Football Centre.
Get to know your WNPL teams, starting with West Adelaide and Sturt Marion below >
Club Name: West Adelaide Soccer Club
Head Coach: Kevin McCormack
Captain: Chistina Papagoergiou, Chrissa Pavlomanolakos (Co-Captains)
2015 Player of the Year: Christina Papagoergiou
History: The club were originally named West Adelaide before changing the name to Adelaide Olympic Women’s FC. In 2013 the women’s side re-affiliated with West Adelaide SC and are currently known as West Adelaide SC.
- FFSA Cup Winners in 2011 as Adelaide Olympic WFC
- Undefeated Reserve League Champions in 2013
- FFSA Cup winners in 2014 as West Adelaide SC
Players to Watch: Nicole Tilley, Katrina Mattheou
- Ø West Adelaide has a Junior coaching program and partnership with the School of English at Croydon, funded by West Adelaide SC providing soccer coaching clinics to interested girls and coaching opportunities to interested students from the school.
- Ø No 1 ticket holders for West Adelaide: Ambrose and Co Accountants and Nella Kikianis from Ray White Semaphore
Club Name: Sturt Marion Women’s Soccer Club
Head Coach: Tom Ballantyne
Captain: Bianca Gray
2015 Player of the Year: Georgia Johnson
History: Sturt Marion Women’s Soccer Club was established as an all-female club in 1998 after having been previously connected to Sturt Orange Men’s. The women’s club maintain their heritage by wearing orange as a part of the club colours.
- 2014 U17 Cup Winners
- 2010 U17 B Div Runners Up
- 2010 Div 3 Cup Runners Cup
- 2009 U13 B Div Champions
- 2008 Premier League Champions & Premier Cup Runners Up
Players to Watch: Cheyenne Hammond (NTC), Elysha Magor (NTC & W league train on) & Abbey Flight (NTC)
- Ø Sturt Marion Women’s Soccer Club has been home to many Matilda’s and Australian representatives with Sharon Black, Kristen Swaffer, and Jess Halfpenny to name a few. Other talented players to play at SMWSC include Sian Mclaren, Kirsty Moore, Bianca Gray and Tiarn Powell who have all played for the Adelaide United Lady Red’s.
- Ø This year two players, Alyce Macauley & Georgia Johnson, will reach the milestone of playing 75 premier league games for SMWSC. Both girls started at SMWSC as juniors and played their way up through the ranks.
- Ø SMWSC has experienced significant growth in their junior divisions over the past four years, with player numbers continually increasing since 2012 to this year where they will field the most junior teams in the club’s history.
West Adelaide and Sturt Marion kick-off the first round of the PlayStation 4 National Premier League South Australia on Friday night at Adelaide Shores Football Centre, 6:15pm.