2018 progam now online
Race 1 25th Feb
Greetings everyone - this is the first e-news update from me (Tracey Wilson) as the NQ representative on the Yachting Qld (YQ) Board.
I know lots of people throughout NQ clubs primarily due to a Sabot sailing, now Laser sailing daughter (Miranda). For those of you who I haven’t met yet, I’ve had a long association with sailing club administration, management, sailing events – worked at Keppel Bay SC through the early 90’s, crewed Sharpies and yachts and over the past years was involved with Mission Beach Sailing Club. My interest is in getting people sailing, the progression of sailing clubs throughout Qld (particularly in NQ) and junior and youth development. I’ve had a fair bit of previous Board experience as well so not afraid of taking issues on as required to do so.
The reason for this e-news is to pass on information from the YQ Board meeting and other snippets:
1. There’s been some dates set for YQ general members meetings with one set for Cairns on Saturday 3rd May during the day. Ken Hurling (Pres) and Ben Callard (EO) will be in attendance. There’ll be more details coming via the office soon but mark this date in your diaries. There’ll also be one held in Yeppoon on Saturday 27th September while the Youth Champs and camp are on.
2. YQ Clubs conference – 12,13 July in Brisbane this year, two days after Qld youth week in the June/July holidays. This is a chance to get together with other Clubs, share ideas and hear from people who are involved in the sailing fraternity and industry. There is opportunity for part sponsorship for one rep per Club to attend this conference – contact Ben or Alison in the office for more details.
3. Changes to the YQ website. You would have noticed this occurring – some clubs are progressing really well and others are struggling with the new platform. Apparently some issues with payment options but we were assured this is all being worked on. Ben is also working on the “Fox sport pulse” reference which appears on web searches so watch this space…Yachting Australia (YA) will be migrating MYClub and the entire network of My Sailor over the next few months and have a plan to train club users.
4. There’s new staff in the YQ office. Alison Turner has migrated to the Membership and Training Administration position; Greg Peake is now the Communications and Events officer and you’ll find Claire McNamara answering the phone as receptionist and administration assistant. Don’t forget if you’re going to Brisbane for sailing there is self contained accommodation at YQ office at Manly. Call Claire for info.
5. Changes to YQ’s constitution. This subject is on the table again and by all accounts the recommendations put forward by YQ Board are being more favourably looked at by some (southern) members due to a series of events occurring with RQYS over the past month. There’ll be more about this in coming months but essentially, even as a new board member, I can see that there are valid reasons for change – primarily to allow YQ to operate effectively in a modern and changing business and associations environment.
6. Danny Fuller is going great guns with his NQ youth development program. He’s set some dates for junior/youth coaching in NQ being: Tinaroo 31 May, 1 August; Mackay YC 26,27 July; Mission Beach 2,3 August; Bowen 15,16 November. Whitsunday17,18 May (TBC); Townsville - 11,12 Oct (TBC). Tentatively looking at a social/family camp at Easter at Tinaroo and a 2nd camp Dec 13,14 based around Lasers. Bowen sailing-family invited kids to LTS 15,16 May & 29,30 May. Danny coaching – thanks to parent organisers!
7. High school teams sailing is almost on us for 2014! What a great response this year, with numbers building and training at fever pitch! High school team sailing is a great entry point for school kids (and parents) who aren’t involved in clubs or YQ training programs to experience sailing. It’s tactical, great to watch and relies on teamwork. Speaking of teamwork the comp wouldn’t happen without hard work by hosting clubs including Tinaroo, Townsville and Mission Beach. So thanks again for all your work on this. Dates Sunday’s 16th, 23, 30 March – Tinaroo, Townsville, Mission Beach respectively.
8. Local news – lots happening at the Cairns Cruising Yacht Squadron over the coming months and they have social evenings every second Friday so go along for a BBQ and drink. Mission Beach SC needs an injection of members – if you know someone who’s interested in sailing get them to contact Trish Ryan firstname.lastname@example.org.
A new after-school-program is taking off in Townsville soon – this is an option for all clubs with lots of support by the federal govt so if you want more information contact Ben at YQ.
Tinaroo’s sailing season is up and running – check out their great Website
Qld Youth development camp and Qld Youth Championship is confirmed for September in Yeppoon again this year. Watch out for the KBSC NOR for this popular event, positioned in a central location enabling Qld youth and junior sailors from all geographical areas in Qld to access to high quality coaching and racing.
That’s all from me for this time. In closing I’d like to thank the people who nominated me for the Board role! Mike Overland from Tinaroo congratulated me on taking on the “challenge” and his words reverberate in my ears regularly!!
Unfortunately my first meeting (and quite a few subsequently) was around the sad death of the sailor during competition at the Brisbane 18 Footers Sailing Club just prior to Christmas. A sobering start for me, a terrible time for his family, and a timely reminder for all clubs to review safety procedures regularly, as accidents can happen.
In the last month the Board has been in, at times quite disappointing, discussions with RQYS regarding Sail Brisbane. These discussions have highlighted to me the importance of one of the findings of YA’s GEMBA report on sailing that the spectre of elitism remains a problem that we need to tackle in our sport.
You can call me on 0419 688 372 but better way is to email me on email@example.com. As with everyone else, I’m sometimes flat out with work (and running around after a sailing teenage daughter) but will always get back to you in the long run. See you at a club sometime soon. If you have anything you’d like included I’m trying to get these distributed after each Board meeting so next one due end of April.